[Windows] Customising Windows 7 for a seamless HTPC (Hiding Windows)
This is a bit of an addition to the following wiki article that I followed myself.

Thanks to the guys that put the work in to that!

I have tested all of this and it has worked for me on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, but you are changing system files, so it's at your own risk.

I haven't linked directly to files so the creators get some credit.

Changing the Windows 7 boot screen

The Windows 7 boot animation is made up of 105 200x200 images. You can either use a static image, or create an animation. The first 60 frames play once and the last 45 frames repeat every 3 seconds.

I'm no artist, so used a static image, but if anyone fancies creating and posting a nice XBMC animation, I would be grateful!!

Download Win7Boot 32bit or 64bit.
Run as administrator.
Select either static image and point to your image, or animation and point to the folder with your 105 200x200 images (it imports them in numerical order).
Set your background colour.
Choose if you want 1, 2 or no messages (e.g. Starting Windows and Microsoft Corp notice).
Select font colour, size and adjust position if required.
Click Play to preview.
Click Apply (this will backup original files and they can be restored under Options menu).

Note: If you make a second edit, restore the originals first. It looks for the default text in the messages, so can't find it if its already changed.

Changing the Windows 7 welcome screen background (logon and logoff)

Download Resource Hacker 3.5.2 beta.
Browse to c:\windows\system32 and locate imageres.dll.
Take ownership of the file and change security to give admins full control.
If running 64bit repeat for imageres.dll in c:\windows\syswow64.
Copy c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll to a temporary location and open the copy with Resource Hacker.
Open the IMAGE branch.
The numbers represent backgrounds for different resolutions (I changed all of mine to future proof and save hassle).
5031 = 1280 x 1024
5032 = 1280 x 960
5033 = 1024 x 786
5034 = 1600 x 1200
5035 = 1440 x 900
5036 = 1920 x 1200
5037 = 1280 x 768
5038 = 1360 x 768
5039 = 1024 x 1280
5040 = 960 x 1280
5041 = 900 x 1440
5042 = 786 x 1280
5043 = 768 x 1360
Open up the branch you want to replace and right click on the 1033 entry (1033=English, so other languages may vary).
Select Replace Resource.
Select Open file with new resource and locate your background image (ensuring the resolution is correct)
For Resource Type enter IMAGE.
For Resource Name enter the 50xx number you are replacing.
For Resource Language enter 1033
Click replace.
When you have replaced all the relevant resolutions, click File -> Save.
Browse to c:\windows\system32 (and c:\windows\syswow64 if running 64bit) and rename the original copy of imageres.dll.
Copy your edited imageres.dll to c:\window\system32 (and c:\windows\syswow64 on 64bit).

Note: If you are having problems saving,renaming or overwriting imageres.dll, please re-read the steps about ownership and security.

Changing the Windows 7 welcome screen logo (logon and logoff)

Rather than replace this, I blanked it out so I just had my background image. Its up to you.

Browse to c:\windows\branding\basebrd and locate basebrd.dll.
Take ownership of the file and change security to give admins full control.
Copy c:\windows\branding\basebrd\basebrd.dll to a temporary location and open the copy with Resource Hacker.
Open the Bitmap branch.
Open all the numbered branches one by one and right click on the 1033 entry.
Select Save[Bitmap:xxx:1033].
Open the saved image with your preffered graphics program (MS Paint is fine for this).
Use the dropper tool to get the background colour.
Brush over the Windows logo to blank it out (it doesn't matter that the colour is different to your custom background).
Save the image.
Import each image as you did to change the background earlier.
Click File -> Save to save your changes.
Browse to c:\windows\branding\basebrd and rename the original copy of basebrd.dll.
Copy your edited basebrd.dll to c:\windows\branding\basebrd.

Addition to Eventghost Wiki:

Some people have mentioned volume control problems after changing their shell. The Windows volume control is part of explorer, so isn't available if you change your shell. If you have installed your audio software which uses its own volume control, you may be able to get around this (works for me).

Click start and type msconfig in the Search programs and files box.
Click on the Startup tab.
If there is a volume control/audio manager listed (Realtek HD Audio Manager in my case), check the Command field for the executable location and add this to autostart in EventGhost before XBMC.

Note: This also applies for things like the NEC USB 3 monitor.
Thanks a lot for the guide!
I looked for something like this a little while back but couldn't see anything; I've got my system running a noGUI boot, and set with XBMC as the shell, over explorer, so its virtually seamless already, but even with autologin you still get that 'Welcome to Windows' before XBMC loads, which it'll be good to see the back of, not to mention I should be able to revert the noGUI to a plain blankscreen or an XBMC logo.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
alexrose1uk Wrote:Thanks a lot for the guide!
I looked for something like this a little while back but couldn't see anything; I've got my system running a noGUI boot, and set with XBMC as the shell, over explorer, so its virtually seamless already, but even with autologin you still get that 'Welcome to Windows' before XBMC loads, which it'll be good to see the back of, not to mention I should be able to revert the noGUI to a plain blankscreen or an XBMC logo.

Pleasure.

I had mine exactly the same, but was fed up of a black lifeless screen during boot and the welcome screen. I prefer to hide Windows and make it more appliance like.
Here is an easy way to change the Windows logon background, run program select pic and click apply

http://tweaks.com/software/tweakslogon/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Customising Windows 7 for a seamless HTPC (Hiding Windows)0