XBMC updates
Star 
Hi, I have some questions that maybe you'all can help with.

I'm Running XBMC in windows 7 and was wondering if 9.11 the latest stable version?

Also Does XBMC auto update? If so I have no clue as to what is being updated if @ all. I have not noticed no updater @ work.

Or Do I need to download and install a new version periodically
Yes 9.11 is the stable version

The nightlies are getting close, but wouldn't recommend. Espically if someone is a big script/plugin user. Though all the core functions are pretty solid at the moment.

Not sure if XBMC will auto update with the new addons but in general they release a stable version then work behind the scenes adding, and breaking, new features/improvements...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
I've only just noticed nightlys where switched back on. The 3rd of June build for me is very stable, the add-on manger is amazing but like "mcborzu" said, it's a little thin atm.

There is currently no auto-update built into XBMC but there is a program available (which I cannot seem to find) for Windows on which you can set it to check and install builds.
I'm fairly new to XBMC and have been running 9.11 happily for a few months now.

But i've just bought another Mac and wonder if its worth waiting for a new version of xbmc? I thought i'd read somewhere that there's about 2 stable releases per yesr, and as the last release was around 8 months ago, a new version must be due soon?

I'm eagerly waiting hardware video acceleration for osx, plus i'm eagerly awaiting a fix to the imdb scraping issue (where the release date isnt being imported into xbmc).

Is it worth hanging on for a stable build (does anyone know how long that might be?), or is there a recent nightly build thats fairly stable? (and are the nightlies easy to install - do they require any expert knowledge to install?)

Thanks
Brad
How does one find which ver. of XBMC one is running?
osmosis Wrote:How does one find which ver. of XBMC one is running?

If you are using the default skin Confluence, just go down to System on the home screen, click right, and then click System Info.

It should be listed in the summary.

@Johnny: I've not used XBMC for Mac, but I'm fairly certain the nightlies are just as easy to install as 9.11. You can get nightlies here:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/

As previously mentioned, if you use a lot of plugins in 9.11, I'd probably steer clear for now. If not, there's really no harm in trying a nightly, so long as you backup your data beforehand.
Hey all thanks for the info.

I have enjoyed XBMC, for me personally, it is easily the best program and on par with windows media centre. If a autoupdater could be preinstalled that would awesome. Otherwise a great effort Smile
Any hints or tips on what needs to be backed up from a standard install of XBMC on Win7 to test a nightly install?
Just don't want to bork XBMC if there are any issues that the missus won't live with in the nightlies so need a way back to vanilla 9.11 we are running now. If this was an XBOX install I wouldn't have any issues but with Win and especially Win7 it seems bits are saved all over the place.. Keen to check out some of the new features.
Are you using more than the music and video libraries? If not, then you can perform a simple export for each in the system settings that'll essentially backup everything, and if you back up to a single file, it'll ask you where you want to save it.
natethomas Wrote:Are you using more than the music and video libraries? If not, then you can perform a simple export for each in the system settings that'll essentially backup everything, and if you back up to a single file, it'll ask you where you want to save it.

Will that save your library/DB settings also (e.g. which movies are watched etc.)? I tried a new nightly which was totally unstable but then I couldn't go back because it upgraded my movie DB and the old version wasn't compatible with it so I had to re-import my whole library again. Not such a big deal normally because I saved the NFOs/posters/fanart in the same folder as the movie, but it was a huge pain having to go through 500+ movies marking which ones I'd already seen.
pedram Wrote:Will that save your library/DB settings also (e.g. which movies are watched etc.)? I tried a new nightly which was totally unstable but then I couldn't go back because it upgraded my movie DB and the old version wasn't compatible with it so I had to re-import my whole library again. Not such a big deal normally because I saved the NFOs/posters/fanart in the same folder as the movie, but it was a huge pain having to go through 500+ movies marking which ones I'd already seen.

To be honest, I think the best way to backup everything is just to backup your entire userdata folder. I find easier to do that than cherry-pick what I want to save. I rather save everything such as my video calibration settings, keymap, and whatnot than just my db.
ralob Wrote:To be honest, I think the best way to backup everything is just to backup your entire userdata folder. I find easier to do that than cherry-pick what I want to save. I rather save everything such as my video calibration settings, keymap, and whatnot than just my db.

Cheers, will give that a go and see how we go with a nightly.

Art

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC updates0