Good Hardware for XBMC?
Hello All,

I'm a long time XBMC user. Currently I have it running on my XBOX original and it works great for XVID but no HD....

I recently purchased a Asus O!Play Air and it works great but it certainly is missing some of the many features that XBMC has to offer. I'm not that keen on the interface.

With that said i'm looking to replace the XBOX original with something that can really handle HD and comes with all the wonderful features XBMC has to offer.

I see a lot of you mention the Acer AR1600. I also noticed a similar model AR3600. I do NOT need WiFi (it never hurts but not needed). I need to be able to play HD Rips. I will connect it to my network which is 1 Gbps through a DIR-825 so shouldn't have any network conflicts at all ( I can play all my HD movies on the Asus O!Play)

Also once I get the machine do I just install XBMC directly on it? What would it take to get a browser and other features? Is this something that would require windows then run XBMC as an app or is it better to go the standalone linux route?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
If you don't need an optical drive, you could go with an old AppleTV (1st or 2nd gen) also. It's just an x86 setup, you could drop in a CrystalHD card and have full 1080p support with very low power consumption. Keep in mind if you were to install Linux on it (you can stick with the OS X-version on it and install Xbmc on top of that too) you probably won't have audio over HDMI though.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Take a look at zotac's mini-pc series as well. All you really need to add is an IR receiver - assuming you don't need an optical drive.
No optical drive is required at all really but could be a nice feature for those DVD's that people bring by once in a while, but totally just a bonus if it happens to be part of the package.

I did look around for some AppleTV (1st, 2nd gen) units and didn't come up with much in the new category. Lots of them used on eBay. I live in Costa Rica though so I have to have it all shipped down here and it worries me that it might not work correctly.

Is that brand "Zotac" any good I seen it popping up here and there. Seems like one of those PNY type brands. But hey if it works it works. They did have a AR3600 Zotac for about the same price as the AR1600. Only difference is a little more power, space, etc....

Anyway I think i'm more into getting a brand new device to avoid problems with the machine and being left without repair.

Also space on the machine isn't really a big deal if it's running just lunix and XBMC since my NAS takes care of all the video storage.

The Acer AR1600 seems like my best bet, do I need an IR unit for that one too? Same as the Zotac?

Thanks in advance!
The asrock is very popular as well. It has optical drive and the asrock ion 330 HT have a ir receiver. The receiver needs additional drivers to work though.
This is the correct forum to talk about hardware (and there you will find already loads of suggestions):
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Good Hardware for XBMC?0