Switching users on University (eduroam) wifi
Question 
I have been looking into putting XBMC into use in a University hall bar for use by the students as part of the entertainment system - pictures from their exploits in hall, promotions, events news, music etc as well as giving bar staff somewhere to check emails etc during quiet periods.

I have got XBMC live running great stand along but we need to connect through the University Wifi service which uses something called Eduroam. I have all the settings for this and it uses WPA_supplicant so I am sure I can do all that but what i need to be able to do is enable the users to enter their own login details very easily so that a Linux/computer novice can do it.

I have thought of a few routes to take but the best would seem to be an internal wifi card and some sort of program that can be clicked and pops up with somewhere for the student to put their user ID and password.

I would call the program "internet login" or something obvious on the apps menu so they can't miss it or have it start up with xbmc. This would then enable XBMC to access remote content such as pictures etc which can be managed by the bar staff remotely on somewhere like Flikr and would let them use RSS feeds and use a web browser etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to do this or know of any programs which could be used?

Thanks
use the build in networkmanager (gnome?)
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
Thanks for the quick reply. Just doing some reading up on it now. So far I have only been playing with xbmc live off a CD and we don't have any wifi devices installed in the PC yet.

The problem is this needs to have a very basic GUI - ie just userID and password. Nothing else with settings they can alter.

I will have a go at getting it running and see if it will just prompt the user for those things.

Fingers crossed.

edit: this page seems like it may be a big help: http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration

I should be able to authorise them to use their own ID and password and nothing else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching users on University (eduroam) wifi0