Help with remapping the ASRock remote for XBMC
Hello, i got this working but i´d like to change a couple of options if that´s possible:

First off, im using a Asrock remote that came with my ASRock ION 330HT and i would like the 4 buttons just above the colored ones down at the bottom to open (in left to right order)
1: Pictures (ShowKey gives me <a mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, a, 3)</a> )
2: Music (ShowKey gives me <m mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, m, 3)</m> )
3: Movies (ShowKey gives me <i mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, i, 3)</i> )
4: Tv-Shows (ShowKey gives me <e mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, e, 3)</e> )

Then, i´d like the Info button (<c>Notification(Key, c, 3)</c>) to actually send "I" to bring up the information dialog when watching a movie.

ANd for the context menu, i want <six mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, six, 3)</six>

And to toggle between fullscreen video and file window, i´d like to use the key thats at the top left on the remote, which ShowKey isnt showing

And my problem is, that i have no clue at all on how to achive this, anybody out there that might point my in the right direction?
Hi!
I have the asrock 330ht too but cant get it to work...Cant find this showkey app you mentioned before.
Most of the buttons are fine but i cant set the Green button for example... I gave a try to eventghost and put the context menu in the "i" button succesfully though(!!)... Any help would be much appreciated...Nod
Guys the asrock remote can be configured to work just by installing a reg file (Remote-XBMC.reg) except under XP, you can get it below in the mceremote.zip

http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/

Take a look here first

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...ock_Remote

PS: if you have messed with the original keymap your need to put it back to its default settings
Thanks!!
I ll try it and let u know...

update: OK... Again, most of them are fine. The "i" is set to information and the top 4 buttons (dvd,tv...) do nothing... The Logo button is "empty" too. How can i "tell" the Logo button to send a custom keystroke? Showkey gives me this:

KeyID 88(0x58) - VK_X
Mod Ctrl Shift
<x mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, x, 3)</x>
@Snaqejack: I've updated the key mappings in mceremote.zip at xbmcmce.sourceforge.net. Grab a copy and run the Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot. Now copy the sample keyboard.xml to %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps (if there isn't a keymaps folder in %appdata%\xbmc\userdata create it).

At this point the i button will now display info, and the following three buttons will do something useful:

Music: ctrl-M - go to the music section
Pictures: ctrl-I - go to the pictures section
Movies: ctrl-E - go to the video section

The button that used to send ctrl-6 is the Teletext button. XBMC does actually have a Teletext function, though I'm not sure what it does, and the XBMC standard keystroke for this is "v". So I've configured the Teletext button to send "v". To make this open the context menu, edit the keyboard.xml provided in mceremote.zip and add the following key mapping:

Code:
<!-- Redefine v to open the context menu -->
      <v>ContextMenu</v>

The last thing is mapping the button at the top left to toggle between fullscreen video and file window. We need to find out the internal id of this button. To do this run the CreateTestConfig.reg and reboot, then use Showkey to see what keystroke the button sends and post the information here. That will tell me how the button can be configured. Run the Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot to set the remote back to the XBMC keystrokes.

JR
Hey and thanks alot for the quick help!

The button at the top gives me
<d mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, d, 3)</d>
Snaqejack Wrote:Hey and thanks alot for the quick help!

The button at the top gives me
<d mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, d, 3)</d>

OK, then it's button number 27 (hex). If you look at CreateTestConfig.reg in Notepad you'll see ctrl-D is the line starting "27".

To switch between full screen video and the file view press the tab key, so we need to configure button 27 to send a Tab keypress. Open Remote-XBMC.reg using Notepad and scroll down to find:

Code:
26,00,00,00,04,01,0a,\ ; Guide - was "01,8d,00" sends ctrl-G
  47,00,00,00,04,01,10,\ ; Music    - sends ctrl-M

insert a line between 26 and 47 so you have:

Code:
26,00,00,00,04,01,0a,\ ; Guide - was "01,8d,00" sends ctrl-G
  27,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ; Top left button - send Tab
  47,00,00,00,04,01,10,\ ; Music    - sends ctrl-M

Save the changes, run your modified Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot, and if you check with Showkey you should now find the button sends a Tab.

What is the top left button supposed to do? I found a picture of the Asrock remote, but the picture on the top left button is too abstract for me to figure out :-) I ask because I can add a definition for the top left key to my standard Remote-XBMC.reg, but I need to know what it's supposed to do, i.e. what does it do in Windows Media Center?

While we're here there is one thing you could help me with. I'm toying with buying myself a 330HT because the Mac Mini I currently used doesn't have hardware acceleration. However a review I've found of the 330HT (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/11...p-review/1) says the internal fan is a bit noisy. I don't recall anyone hereabouts mentioning the fan noise, but I'd be interested to know if you can hear any fan noise from your 330HT.

JR
nikolas7gr Wrote:Thanks!!
I ll try it and let u know...

update: OK... Again, most of them are fine. The "i" is set to information and the top 4 buttons (dvd,tv...) do nothing... The Logo button is "empty" too. How can i "tell" the Logo button to send a custom keystroke? Showkey gives me this:

KeyID 88(0x58) - VK_X
Mod Ctrl Shift
<x mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, x, 3)</x>

@nikolas7gr: I updated my mceremote.zip this morning to help with Snaqejack's problem. Download it again, just to make sure you have the latest version, run Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot, and run the Sendkey applet from the zip to check all the buttons on the remote are sending keystrokes.

If you copy the keyboard.xml in the zip to %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps (creating the keymaps folder if necessary) then run XBMC you should find all the buttons will do something, even if they just pop up a message to say what button was pressed.

The Logo button is mapped to send ctrl-shift-X, though you can modify Remote-XBMC.reg to make it send a different keypress if you want. I have ctl-shift-X assigned as the hotkey for the icon that starts XBMC, so when I press the Logo key it starts XBMC (or restores it if XBMC was running but minimised).

What do you want the logo button to do?

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:While we're here there is one thing you could help me with. I'm toying with buying myself a 330HT because the Mac Mini I currently used doesn't have hardware acceleration. However a review I've found of the 330HT (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/11...p-review/1) says the internal fan is a bit noisy. I don't recall anyone hereabouts mentioning the fan noise, but I'd be interested to know if you can hear any fan noise from your 330HT.

JR

I can hear the fan if there is no other sound at all, but when watching a movie or playing i cant hear it.
Buy it, it´s a lovely piece of machine!

And thanks again for the quick help.
jhsrennie Wrote:While we're here there is one thing you could help me with. I'm toying with buying myself a 330HT because the Mac Mini I currently used doesn't have hardware acceleration. However a review I've found of the 330HT (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/11...p-review/1) says the internal fan is a bit noisy. I don't recall anyone hereabouts mentioning the fan noise, but I'd be interested to know if you can hear any fan noise from your 330HT.

JR

How sensitive are you to noise because they do make a very distinct noise which can be heard at low volume I didn't find it intrusive at all but some do there's a whole thread on here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61604

If you take a look at the video below you can hear the sound it makes if you go to the end when he turns it off your hear the difference between being on and off as its already running when the video starts, its not a very loud video so headphones might be a good idea Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IewjDp3yC3s

They are great little machines I wouldn't be put off just depends how sensitive to noise you are Shocked
jhsrennie Wrote:@nikolas7gr: I updated my mceremote.zip this morning to help with Snaqejack's problem. Download it again, just to make sure you have the latest version, run Remote-XBMC.reg and reboot, and run the Sendkey applet from the zip to check all the buttons on the remote are sending keystrokes.

If you copy the keyboard.xml in the zip to %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps (creating the keymaps folder if necessary) then run XBMC you should find all the buttons will do something, even if they just pop up a message to say what button was pressed.

The Logo button is mapped to send ctrl-shift-X, though you can modify Remote-XBMC.reg to make it send a different keypress if you want. I have ctl-shift-X assigned as the hotkey for the icon that starts XBMC, so when I press the Logo key it starts XBMC (or restores it if XBMC was running but minimised).

What do you want the logo button to do?

JR

JR i cant thank u enough. Thats exactly what i wanted!! I still try to understand the how these things work so i`ll post 1-2 questions later if u dont mind...Blush
About the 330ht noise u mentioned, i personally cant hear anything. I think its in the same (if not better) noise level with the mac mini. The dvd rom is a bit noisy but i dont use it anyway.

EDIT: Well, everything went fine with the updated .reg. I added a key shortcut to my xbmc to match yours. The keyboard.xml didnt work for me. Many buttons were wrongly assigned. For example i pressed button number 2 and it showed me that i pressed the blue button(or the red one). I red the translate.xls with ms hid codes and i think i got it. Firts row is the button id (dont know how we finde this stuff though) the next three rows are 00. The fifth row is 04 always and the last two rows are the keystrokes. I changed the teletexed button to context menu!! I ll try to switch the red button to ALT+TAB.. that would be 5B,00,00,00,04,04,2b if i guess right... What exactly do we need keyboard.xml for?
nikolas7gr Wrote:EDIT: Well, everything went fine with the updated .reg. I added a key shortcut to my xbmc to match yours. The keyboard.xml didnt work for me. Many buttons were wrongly assigned. For example i pressed button number 2 and it showed me that i pressed the blue button(or the red one). I red the translate.xls with ms hid codes and i think i got it. Firts row is the button id (dont know how we finde this stuff though) the next three rows are 00. The fifth row is 04 always and the last two rows are the keystrokes. I changed the teletexed button to context menu!! I ll try to switch the red button to ALT+TAB.. that would be 5B,00,00,00,04,04,2b if i guess right... What exactly do we need keyboard.xml for?

The readme.txt in mceremote.zip describes the ReportMappingTable layout in excruciating detail. To set the red button to send alt-tab you do indeed use "5b,00,00,00,04,04,2b".

Re keyboard.xml: to get the remote working there are two steps:
1. configure the remote to send keystrokes
2. configure XBMC to respond to the keystrokes

Step 1 is done by the Remote-XBMC.reg file, e.g. to configure the red button to send alt-Tab as you mention above.

Step 2 is done by the keyboard.xml. When XBMC starts it reads keyboard.xml and this tells it what to do in response to keystrokes. For example the Remote-XBMC.reg configures the "Video" button to send ctrl-E. Keyboard.xml contains:

Code:
<!-- Movies: ctrl-E -->
      <e mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(video)</e>

and this configures XBMC to respond to ctrl-E with the action "ActivateWindow(video)" i.e. open the Video page.

You say:

Quote:Many buttons were wrongly assigned. For example i pressed button number 2 and it showed me that i pressed the blue button(or the red one).

Do you mean when you press the button on the remote labelled "2" is popped up a message saying "Blue button"? If so something is very wrong somewhere!

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Re keyboard.xml: to get the remote working there are two steps:
1. configure the remote to send keystrokes
2. configure XBMC to respond to the keystrokes

Step 1 is done by the Remote-XBMC.reg file, e.g. to configure the red button to send alt-Tab as you mention above.

Step 2 is done by the keyboard.xml. When XBMC starts it reads keyboard.xml and this tells it what to do in response to keystrokes. For example the Remote-XBMC.reg configures the "Video" button to send ctrl-E. Keyboard.xml contains:

Code:
<!-- Movies: ctrl-E -->
      <e mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(video)</e>

and this configures XBMC to respond to ctrl-E with the action "ActivateWindow(video)" i.e. open the Video page.

i ll try to set ctrl-m to ActivateWindow(MyMusic) like this:
<m mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</m>
Quote:Do you mean when you press the button on the remote labelled "2" is popped up a message saying "Blue button"? If so something is very wrong somewhere!

JR
Yep! Something is really messed here so i made a clean keyboard.xml and i ll start filling it slowly. The weather in Greece is about 35oC and thats not easy! Will post the results later...
Btw the translate.xml i found accidentally in another post should be(if not already) stickie. Thanks again for your help!

Update: What am i doing wrong? My music button responds to Ctrl - M as i see in my reg.

47,00,00,00,04,01,10,\ ; Music - sends ctrl-M
So i tell my keyboard.xml to open MyMusic with Ctrl-M :
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<m mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</m>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>
BUT... my music responds only when i press the m button from my keyboard... Should i just assign "m" to asrock`s music button?
nikolas7gr Wrote:BUT... my music responds only when i press the m button from my keyboard... Should i just assign "m" to asrock`s music button?

The keyboard.xml looks fine. What version of XBMC are you using? The "ctrl" and "shift" modifiers don't work with v9.11. You need to use one of the recent builds from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

If you're already using a recent build then these are the steps to debug keyboard problems.
- run XBMC
- turn on debug logging using Settings, System, Debug
- press the music button on your remote a few times (do this in the settings page; you don't need to in a music page)
- turn off debugging again
- open %appdata%\xbmx\xbmc.log, put a copy on pastebin.com and post the link here

From the debug log I can tell exactly what XBMC is doing.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The keyboard.xml looks fine. What version of XBMC are you using? The "ctrl" and "shift" modifiers don't work with v9.11. You need to use one of the recent builds from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

If you're already using a recent build then these are the steps to debug keyboard problems.
- run XBMC
- turn on debug logging using Settings, System, Debug
- press the music button on your remote a few times (do this in the settings page; you don't need to in a music page)
- turn off debugging again
- open %appdata%\xbmx\xbmc.log, put a copy on pastebin.com and post the link here

From the debug log I can tell exactly what XBMC is doing.

JR

I set pictures to Alt-i and it works. I have version 9.11 and here is the log jr
http://pastebin.org/387623

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with remapping the ASRock remote for XBMC0