XBMC cannot find OpenGL drivers with Intel X4500 Graphics
I've been looking all over for a solution to this problem so I hope I didn't miss an obvious solution. I have a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 10.04. My goal is to have an HTPC/NAS server so I went with a minimal install of Ubuntu Server instead of using the Live CD.

The computer has a DG45FC motherboard with 4 gigs of RAM and an Intel E6300 processor (dual 2.8 ghz).

I followed the step by step process for the XBMCbuntu install (installing it from the Ubuntu repositories).

After the install completes I ran the xinit xbmc-standalone command as instructed but all I get is a window that says it requires OpenGL drivers to operate. I know this board is well within the minimum requirements for XBMC as it has the Intel GMA X4500HD graphics processor. Also to the best of my knowledge I didn't think any further drivers were needed for this video card.

Here is the log from Xorg after it crashes out:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/461878/

Any thoughts on what is causing this or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I missed any details.

Thanks,

Dave
Not the ideal response (I can't answer your question I'm afraid) but have you considered using the live cd and adding the packages you need to that (just need smb?)?

I've got a sff machine with a gma x4500 and xbmc works fine off the live cd. (I need digital audio out http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76946 if you/anyone has any recommendations! Smile
davemex Wrote:After the install completes I ran the xinit xbmc-standalone command as instructed but all I get is a window that says it requires OpenGL drivers to operate.

Here is the log from Xorg after it crashes out:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/461878/

Any thoughts on what is causing this or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I missed any details.

from your xorg.log:

Quote:(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 195.36.24 Thu Apr 22 19:52:00 PDT 2010
(II) Loading extension GLX

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

you have installed nvidia graphic drivers, because the drivers uses the same names for some files - for example libglx.so and libGL.so* they overwrites the files frome Mesa (used by intel graphic driver). you have the problem that you use an intel graphic card with nvidia OpenGL drivers, that fails.

to fix this try to uninstall nvidia graphic driver - and if its needed reinstall all Mesa packages.
greetings, Stephan

Awesome thanks for the tip!

I removed the nvidia driver but I can't figure out how to reinstall the intel one. Do you know what the proper command is?

Now when I launch xbmc it's just completely crashing out without even giving me that OpenGL error.

Thanks again.

Dave
davemex Wrote:Awesome thanks for the tip!

I removed the nvidia driver but I can't figure out how to reinstall the intel one. Do you know what the proper command is?

Now when I launch xbmc it's just completely crashing out without even giving me that OpenGL error.

Thanks again.

Dave

i dont use ubuntu, but try if this works:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
greetings, Stephan

Quote:sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

should do the job
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for all the advice guys. That reinstalled the drivers but for some reason it's still crashing out as soon as I start it up with no errors to be found. The screen just goes blank for a few seconds and then pops right back up to the terminal screen.

Any other ideas? Here is the latest log file:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/462181/

Dave
davemex Wrote:Any other ideas? Here is the latest log file:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/462181/

Dave

the Xorg.log looks very fine now, so you have maybe another problem. can you try to reinstall xbmc with all dependencies?
greetings, Stephan

just guessing, but could you try to remove the logitech BT receiver and try to start XBMC with only a wired keyboard present?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Reinstalling those drivers and then starting it using "/etc/init.d/xbmc-live start" on my xbmc account got it up and running.

Thank you all so much for your help with this! This is probably the most responsive tech forum I've ever posted in!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC cannot find OpenGL drivers with Intel X4500 Graphics0