Newbie needs help with versions
I'm never any good at introducing myself at forums, especially if my first post is something like this. So let me just go for it.

My HTPC runs Ubuntu and I've installed XBMC using the directions provided in the Wiki

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
sudo apt-get update

It works fine, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that the repositories have the latest version of XBMC, and if they do, I don't have them for some reason. First and foremost, I don't have the new "Add-On" option in my XBMC. I have "Scripts", but I'm under the impression that the "Add-Ons" functionality is a different menu option.

Secondly, I'm having issues with skins. For example, I'm trying to use Aeon, but it keeps crashing. I've read the website and I know it's a WIP (or at least it says so on XBMC's site), but I've read several "guides" on setting up "the ultimate XBMC experience" and they've all used this skin. So I think it's at least stable enough that it shouldn't be crashing 45 seconds into running XBMC. Although to be fair, I don't have Samba installed (yet) so that could be doing it.

But I'm utterly lost and confused, and just want to figure out if the repositories aren't updated to the latest version, if I fubar'd something up, or something else. To make matters even more complicated, I uninstalled it and tried downloading it from Git and MAKEing it, but Linux hates me. I've never successfully called a MAKE command. This time, Ubuntu can't find ./configure.

Thanks for any and all help.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Yeah, what he said.

You're using the repository for the stable version. It sounds like you want the bleeding edge, svn version.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

Use that instead of the other one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie needs help with versions0