Question about XBMC Boot Menu
Question 
Hello, I have a question about the 1st menu you see after booting into XBMCLive.

I am running this on a new Acer ASPIRE system, with ION Graphics. I am booting off of a 4gb USB stick that I configured it using Unetbootin.

I have a feeling that Unetbootin changes the default menu on the XBMCLive image, if I boot off a CD the menu looks different. I would like the default option to be NVIDiA graphics and a timer of 0 seconds, basically I want to boot directly into XBMC without this menu.

My question is which file do I have to edit to change this? I am pretty new to Ubuntu and GRUB so not sure where to start.

Thanks.
^^ Your best bet would be the Unetbootin forum
chanders Wrote:^^ Your best bet would be the Unetbootin forum

I thought of that too, but I can't find any forums on Unetbootin website, I don't there is one.

I also have another question, if I want to be able to save changes to the USB drive do I have to create some sort of permanent storage file, or does it work automatically? Thx.
I'm not using a Live install but I believe that once you've booted up, you should be able to change the contents of the USB drive so to accomplish what you're looking for, drop to a terminal/console and edit the boot menu file. Below I'm using vi as the editor, you could do this with vi, nano, etc.

Make a backup:
Code:
sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.liveorg

Edit the file:
Code:
sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

Once you're in the editor, you want to look for the "title" block corresponding to the menu entry you want defaulted. You then determine what order it is, with the order starting at 0 (i.e., if the block you want is the second "title" block, your number is 1, not 2)

At the top of the menu.lst file, there's a line that starts with "default" - you want to change it to reflect the order # you determined above.

While you're in there, you can also change the "timeout" entry to something smaller than the default (10 I believe). This is the # of seconds the menu will display allowing you to pick from the menu items OR have the system boot your default entry. You can set this to 1 or 2 to give you a reasonable amount of time to get change the option while booting (hint: you can just hit the arrow key to stop the timer) or set it to 0 for a quick boot and if it turns out you need to use a different option, repeat the editing steps above and temporarily change the timeout to something longer.

Anyway, when you save the file, reboot and verify it's working as expected.
Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a try!
Ok I got it going but it was a bit different. Apparently Unetbootin uses Syslinux not grub, so editing the menu.lst file does not have any effect on the menu. The file I had to edit was syslinux.cfg in the USB drive root. The syntax is similar to a GRUB manu.lst file.

I got XBMCLive going well now, but I cannot connect to the FTP on the system. I can use PUTTY to create an SSH connection so I know its on my network properly.

Is FTP disabled on Live image? I looked through XBMC network settings but there is no mention of the FTP server access, just HTTP access. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
rkolech Wrote:Ok I got it going but it was a bit different. Apparently Unetbootin uses Syslinux not grub, so editing the menu.lst file does not have any effect on the menu. The file I had to edit was syslinux.cfg in the USB drive root. The syntax is similar to a GRUB manu.lst file.

I got XBMCLive going well now, but I cannot connect to the FTP on the system. I can use PUTTY to create an SSH connection so I know its on my network properly.

Is FTP disabled on Live image? I looked through XBMC network settings but there is no mention of the FTP server access, just HTTP access. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Would you mind posting what you did to the config file to make it not wait and autoboot into XBMCLive. I currently have it set to autoboot into XBMCLive by changing the order in the menu but it would be nice to skip the menu entirely with no wait.
rkolech Wrote:Ok I got it going but it was a bit different. Apparently Unetbootin uses Syslinux not grub, so editing the menu.lst file does not have any effect on the menu. The file I had to edit was syslinux.cfg in the USB drive root. The syntax is similar to a GRUB manu.lst file.

Thanks.
Sorry about that, I should have looked more closely at what comprises the Live setup.

As far as FTP, I'm guessing Live only has a client installed by default and you need a server (vsftpd, ftpd, etc.) See this link for some useful info on choosing and setting up a server.
md10md Wrote:Would you mind posting what you did to the config file to make it not wait and autoboot into XBMCLive. I currently have it set to autoboot into XBMCLive by changing the order in the menu but it would be nice to skip the menu entirely with no wait.

I am not sure how to bypass the menu completely but I made 2 changes that speed things up:

1: Set the timeout to just 1 second.
Changed timeout 100 to timeout 10 (for some reason it measures time in tenths of seconds.)

2: Changed the default option to "XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU"
Added the line menu default below the line that reads: menu label XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU

You can get more info on the CFG file here:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Menu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about XBMC Boot Menu0