Noob here, idiot proof
Question 
Hello all,

I know nothing about computers, have enough trouble switching on my mac,
But it seems from what i have read off the net xbmc seems to be the best,

But i think its not idiot proof, if you have no knowledge of computers and a like, xbmc is just not there yet, i even brought a acer revo 3610, thinking it was going to be like falling off a log.

I did get the mac version to work, but i dont use my mac for films thats what the revo was going to be for.

Unless someone out there can point me in the direction of an idiot proof install,
Xbmc is not for me.

I think i might have to get a WDTV!!

cheers
:confused2:
Download XBMC Live and install that.... Easy as pie
Where did you run onto problems? Was it installing XBMC, using XBMC or was it probles getting Windows (or Linux if you use Linux) working?

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Where did you run onto problems? Was it installing XBMC, using XBMC or was it probles getting Windows (or Linux if you use Linux) working?

JR

hi,

i followed the acer revo guide , downloaded the xbmc.zip iso burnt it to a cdr and installed it on the revo.

That part was ok, followed the rest of the setup, i managed to play some avi tv shows and got stereo sound through my 7.1 amp.

Then i tried to follow the install of the svn repo, thats when i came to a brick wall, i can see on here i should be able to see youtube and a like,

went to the scripts part on xbmc, nothing in there, now very lost
Ah, OK. To be fair, XBMC installed and worked fine. The svn repo stuff is a bit nerdy because it's not seen as a mainstream part of XBMC.

The new version, due soon, has completely overhauled the way addons like the Youtube downloader are handled, and hopefully makes them a lot easier to use. Think iPhone app store :-)

In the mean time, if you ask in the general support forum, http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111, someone can help you get the Youtube addon working. I don't use it myself so i can help.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Ah, OK. To be fair, XBMC installed and worked fine. The svn repo stuff is a bit nerdy because it's not seen as a mainstream part of XBMC.

The new version, due soon, has completely overhauled the way addons like the Youtube downloader are handled, and hopefully makes them a lot easier to use. Think iPhone app store :-)

In the mean time, if you ask in the general support forum, http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111, someone can help you get the Youtube addon working. I don't use it myself so i can help.

JR

Getting further

after watching a youtube video about a windows install, it said 'to show hidden files' so i went into the settings and toggled it on, now i can see the ' .xbmc '
worked out i had to unzip the file onto a usb flash drive and copy it into the .xbmc thing.

so far so good, now when i go into video and add sorce i find it! But i can see the youtube one i want it says install at the end of it, so i clicked on it, it starts to download something and then fails, saying can't find xml window to open, or something like that, should have written it down, but i was doing it at 1 in the morning!!

update

it says ' svn repo installer error! xml file for window is missing '

i have done a search and can't find anything relevant
Is there a reason you are not using the XBMC live install? It works out of the box for the Revo.... the Revo guide appears outdated to me, as I believe the latest Live install includes the Nvidia drivers you need...

Just install the live version... then watch media.
Jayhovah Wrote:Is there a reason you are not using the XBMC live install? It works out of the box for the Revo.... the Revo guide appears outdated to me, as I believe the latest Live install includes the Nvidia drivers you need...

Just install the live version... then watch media.

i have now used the Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn31495 , but im still having the same proplem with the same error "it says ' svn repo installer error! xml file for window is missing '

Im now thinking im going to put windows on it, and use the xbmc version for windows, and get it to boot into xbmc
Thats an in development build of XBMC, try the xbmcfreak build that is based on the current official XBMC 9.11 release instead.

Easiest way to install - get a USB CD/DVD drive plug it into the Revo, burn the ISO image to disc then boot from the CD/DVD drive to install XBMC Live onto the Revo's hard drive.

Imgburn will burn the ISO to disc under Windows, there are similar tools for other platforms out there.
Starstream Wrote:Thats an in development build of XBMC, try the xbmcfreak build that is based on the current official XBMC 9.11 release instead.

Easiest way to install - get a USB CD/DVD drive plug it into the Revo, burn the ISO image to disc then boot from the CD/DVD drive to install XBMC Live onto the Revo's hard drive.

Imgburn will burn the ISO to disc under Windows, there are similar tools for other platforms out there.

ok, thanks

would i just install that over whats already on there?
The installer will offer to wipe/format the hard drive, if there's nothing important on it then I would do so, select the 'use entire disk' choice.
Starstream Wrote:The installer will offer to wipe/format the hard drive, if there's nothing important on it then I would do so, select the 'use entire disk' choice.

ok,

thanks for that , will try tonight Big Grin

update:

Installed it last night, works like a dream, now thats what i do call idiot proof!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob here, idiot proof0