White screen during video playback
I've got XBMC running on two of my computers after just discovering it last night. It works fantastic on one machine, but on the other I get a blank white screen during video playback. I can hear the audio just fine, but no video. Where should I start in figuring this out?
By the way, videos play fine on that computer with other players. Only with XBMC do I get the blank white screen.
Old machine? Probably a too old of a video card. Try searching next time, this has been asked quite a few times.

You can post a log and your system specs to confirm this.
Main - Intel E6750 C2D (2.66ghz)/Geforce 240
Bedroom - Intel E3300 C2D (2.5ghz)/Geforce 210
Guest Bedroom - Acer Revo 1600/ION LE
Test Desktop - Intel Q9300 C2Q (2.5ghz)/Geforce 9600 GSO
SlaveUnit Wrote:Old machine? Probably a too old of a video card.

Sure, that explains why videos play fine in every other player I try.

SlaveUnit Wrote:Try searching next time, this has been asked quite a few times.

Hit search, type in "white screen during video playback" and see if you can find anything relevant.

Can anyone offer something more helpful?
KnightDavid Wrote:Sure, that explains why videos play fine in every other player I try.

Hit search, type in "white screen during video playback" and see if you can find anything relevant.

Yeah sure can. How about a little less of the attitude for a kick off - as a new member your certainly not going to endear yourself to anyone. Perhaps a little more information if it isn't too much trouble might help - see here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708.

The fact they play in every other player tells us nothing (only that it doesn't play in xbmc) - there have been several threads on this issue recently particlularly regarding the 'white screen' issue. Tried anything else on the search? What about "Audio but no Video" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ite+screen
steelman1991 Wrote:How about a little less of the attitude for a kick off - as a new member your certainly not going to endear yourself to anyone. Perhaps a little more information if it isn't too much trouble might help - see here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708.

Yep, I get it, "search is my friend". The first thing I did after registering was search "white screen during video playback", found nothing of relevance on the 1st two search pages, so posted a quick question in the relevant forum. For this I get smacked by SlaveUnit who does not even offer a link like you did. Thanks for that by the way. In any case, as a complete XBMC noob with all of 2 hours experience with the software, I feel no great need to endear myself to someone with SlaveUnit's approach. That said, I humbly apologize for showing attitude.

steelman1991 Wrote:The fact they play in every other player tells us nothing (only that it doesn't play in xbmc)

Oh I think it does. It tell us that the problem is in something that XBMC is trying to do that the other players aren't. Pixel Shader 2 is a likely suspect based on the link you provided. I'm going to try the OpenGL build as soon as I track down some OpenGL drivers for my video card. Now at least I have a direction for my troubleshooting path, which is all I was asking for in the first place. <shrug>
Did you even read the first link - it wasn't purely about directing you that 'search is your friend', but that other information - none of which you have supplied intially or even after direction - would help in suggesting an avenue of assistance - but hey the hollow apology means very little when you open as you did.
If you installed version 9.11, update your DirectX runtime to the latest from Microsoft.
FYI the latest dev versions have support for old hardware missing pixel shaders, in case the DX runtime doesn't help.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yup I just tried the software renderer in the latest svn. My old laptop which doesn't have proper support for pixel shader 2 worked great. Before I had to use the gl builds.

KnightDavid Wrote:Hit search, type in "white screen during video playback" and see if you can find anything relevant.

I see 3 threads relevant on the first page not counting this one. All 3 mention white video and playback.
Man...another cry baby. Act like a damn adult and just say you had tried to search already and found nothing. Or state that in your original post. I'm just giving pointers on how to find your solution a bit easier. You said you had an issue that has been seen before. So I said to search and also state more about your setup since the cystal ball here at my desk isnt working at this moment.

XBMC is NOT every other player and does not work the same as every other player. So as steelman said your statement of "this plays fine in every other player" doesn't mean anything in relevance to playing it with XBMC.

You are so busy bitching about how the help wasn't friendly enough that you still haven't provided a log or even the specs on your machine.
kricker Wrote:Yup I just tried the software renderer in the latest svn. My old laptop which doesn't have proper support for pixel shader 2 worked great. Before I had to use the gl builds.

I see 3 threads relevant on the first page not counting this one. All 3 mention white video and playback.

That's great that they are still working but kricker, cant we all agree these OpenGL builds are a slowly dying breed?
Yup they are. They are not supported and they no longer even build now.
kricker Wrote:Yup they are. They are not supported and they no longer even build now.

Right....which is why I try not to bring then up to newer users. Then they see they work and are happy but run into issues down the line when more subversions come out and could completely kill the openGL compiles.
Right. Now that the software render "seems" to be working that's probably a good idea, but before there was no other real choice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
White screen during video playback0