XBMC and Boxee plugins
Hi Guys,

I know that Boxee is an off shoot from XBMC. The question I have is why does Boxee have working apps for 4OD & Demand Five where as XBMC hasn't.

Is this because they are just grabbing the raw swf and displaying that or have they managed to circumvent/comply with the DRM?

Thanks for helping me understand

Grindboy
Someone will tell you exactly but I think it's something to with Boxee using a webpage.
Boxee plays flash videos from sites like those you've mentioned through an external proprietary player called bxflplayer. Here's what Wikipedia says on the subject:

"Another interesting aspect is how Boxee manages to play Flash video content from sites such as YouTube and Hulu. Boxee seems to be shipping with a non-GPL, closed source, binary-only, program called "bxflplayer", which seems to load Adobe's proprietary Flash plugin. This program communicates with the main Boxee process via shared memory and it renders the video onto screen. By using this approach, it is possible for Boxee not only to play arbitrary Flash content. It is also possible to control the player using a remote control and other input devices that are more suitable to laid back watching."

XBMC cannot load a flash plugin and so has to find other ways around the SWF verification and use of rtmpe.

Eddebaby did set up a thread on 4oD plugin development a while back, but I believe this fell by the wayside when he got stumped by the encryption/decryption process for the authkey that allows you to connect to the rtmpe stream. If there's anybody reading this who can help with that kind of thing he might be persuaded to pick it up again.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74089
Thanks for the info guys. Really interesting stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Boxee plugins0