[LINUX] Unable to reach samba shares
I've installed ubuntu 10.04 on my Asus AT3IonT-I Deluxe. Then I installed xbmc and xbmc-standalone. Everything works fine except for wifi.

I have setup wifi in network-manager in a gnome-session as described here on the forums

Quote:Wifi WPA2 in XBMC session (USB adaptor)
-------------------
1) Left click on network icon and select network & Connect
2) Right click on network icon , edit connecttions, wireless, select network, Edit - Click Always allow - Check Available to all users
- check remember autorization & enter password
3) Reboot and make sure that no dialog is necessary to connect wifi => Should work fine in the XBMC session.

If I log out from the gnome session and log in to the XBMC session wifi will work perfectly and I can access my samba shares.

If I reboot and let the xbmc session login automatically the wifi will work (according to the network in system info) but I can not access my samba shares on my local network.

If I quit XBMC and log in to the XBMC session again wifi works and I can access the samba shares.

Any ideas on what to do?
you could set the wifi manually and disable network manager which is kind of crappy...

To get rid of network manager
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager -y

Install the WPA Supplicant
Code:
sudo aptitude install wpasupplicant

Prepare WPA Supplicant network profile file
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="ESSID_IN_QUOTES"
psk="ASCII PSK Password in Quotes"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=RSN
pairwise=CCMP
}

To connect via terminal
Code:
sudo ifconfig [interface] down
sudo dhclient -r [interface]
sudo wpa_supplicant -w -D[[i]***Driver Type See Below***[/i]] -i[interface] -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd
sudo ifconfig [interface] up
sudo iwconfig [interface] mode Managed
sudo dhclient [interface]

Driver types for wpa supplicant
Code:
hostap (default) Host AP driver (Intersil Prism2/2.5/3).  (this can also be used with Linuxant DriverLoader).
       hermes Agere Systems Inc. driver (Hermes-I/Hermes-II).
       madwifi MADWIFI 802.11 support (Atheros, etc.).
       atmel  ATMEL AT76C5XXx (USB, PCMCIA).
       wext   Linux wireless extensions (generic).
       ndiswrapper Linux ndiswrapper.
       broadcom Broadcom wl.o driver.
       ipw    Intel ipw2100/2200 driver.
       wired  wpa_supplicant wired Ethernet driver
       roboswitch wpa_supplicant Broadcom switch driver
       bsd    BSD 802.11 support (Atheros, etc.).
       ndis   Windows NDIS driver.

wext driver type will work most of the time, you should try it first.

you can put your connection script in /etc/rc.local that way the computer will connect the wireless adapter to your network on startup, much more reliable than network manager from my experience.

Big Grin
CuBone Wrote:I've installed ubuntu 10.04 on my Asus AT3IonT-I Deluxe. Then I installed xbmc and xbmc-standalone. Everything works fine except for wifi.

I have setup wifi in network-manager in a gnome-session as described here on the forums

If I log out from the gnome session and log in to the XBMC session wifi will work perfectly and I can access my samba shares.

If I reboot and let the xbmc session login automatically the wifi will work (according to the network in system info) but I can not access my samba shares on my local network.

If I quit XBMC and log in to the XBMC session again wifi works and I can access the samba shares.

Any ideas on what to do?

Hello,

I have the same problem here but with a wired connection, so I don't think it's related to wifi. I cannot see smb shares in xbmc, but as soon as I access smb share through gnome, xbmc will start to work.

Fred
One way is to set the connection, wired or not, manually (in text files) as roadkills says.

My way (the instruction is cut from my guide), aka using the GUI, also work but you have to be very carefull to set it up to work for all users always without any dialog. In 9.04 this was no issue at all. In karmic there was a bug in the begining:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/405413

I would be surprised if it it did not work in Lucid (LTS) but you have to make sure you enable the key and all steps correctly.

BTW: Saying that the network manager (the official GUI to manage network) is crap does not help promoting open source to "normal" people.
The wifi worked by setting it up in Network Manager GUI all along the problem was that xbmc started before the connection was established. And xbmc never realized that the connection was established later on. My solution (though a bit crude) was to add a script to wait for a network connection before letting xbmc start.

xbmc won't start if the network is down, but that doesn't matter since my htpc is useless without network connection to my media shares.

I solved my HDMI audio problems in the same script by adding "start-pulseaudio-x11" to it there by enabling sound before xbmc starts.
vikjon0 Wrote:BTW: Saying that the network manager (the official GUI to manage network) is crap does not help promoting open source to "normal" people.

what I meant to say is that Network Manager was never designed to be used in such a way, that is why it doesn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Unable to reach samba shares0