Building a hands-off HTPC/NAS
Smile 
GJones Wrote:External USB DVD drives are cheap.

Yes they are but since all of my media is already in digital format I have no reason for even making a $50 investment in the device. I was going to test it on my old machine to see how well it worked so I'd know if it would be a good solution for one of my parents that does have a significant collection they'd like to store.

I just wanted to make sure the concept worked seamlessly before recommending it (or I would be subjecting myself to the feared family "tech support" calls when the device failed to work as advertised- I'm sure you know how this goes!).

Anyways, it's Friday and I think that $50 would be much better invested in a decent bottle of scotch for the weekend! (ohh no, did I say that in a tech forum?!) Wink
Check out my new NAS/media server build here, my old media server here or my Atom/Ion 2 based XBMC HTPC here

http://www.somethingtangential.com
Question 
Hi there.

I was just wondering for the automatic downloading / renaming part of the box, do I need twonky server? Or can I do without.

I would ideally (for right now) like to just have my machine be downloading and then moving / renaming the files. I don't need more functionality than that.

Thanks
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
marcozd Wrote:Hi there.

I was just wondering for the automatic downloading / renaming part of the box, do I need twonky server? Or can I do without.

I would ideally (for right now) like to just have my machine be downloading and then moving / renaming the files. I don't need more functionality than that.

Thanks

Nope! Twonky is just my personal choice in DLNA server. All that does is stream the media to media receivers around the house (in my case, an Xbox 360) and I'm actually experimenting with other programs to see if they do a better job at this (like PS3 Media Server). If you don't want it to do that, Twonky serves no purpose.

Also, if you're just using it for the downloading and sorting, someone posted this script on my blog to use prior to the sortTV script to check the downloads for completion first and if they are indeed complete, moves them to another folder. From there, the sortTV script runs to just look at the completed downloads folder for shows to sort into the TV folders. This way, shows that are still downloading won't be moved prematurely.
Check out my new NAS/media server build here, my old media server here or my Atom/Ion 2 based XBMC HTPC here

Question 
Hi there,

I was wondering if you are still using SHowRSS as your source for the torrents - it has been down and not working for me lately and I have not been able to find very good information on the status of the website or who is maintaining it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marco
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
marcozd Wrote:Hi there,

I was wondering if you are still using SHowRSS as your source for the torrents - it has been down and not working for me lately and I have not been able to find very good information on the status of the website or who is maintaining it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marco

How long has it been down for you? Mine has been working fine over the past week and new shows were pulled down as recently as this morning. I follow them on Twitter (@showrss) and they're pretty good about posting updates on their downtime, show additions and subtractions. Is the actual web site down for you or can you log in but nothing is being pulled down by the server? Their last message (3 minutes ago) said they were working on something but I'm not sure what...

Sorry to hear you're having issues though!

Dave

Question 
Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply - showrss is working now for me - maybe just a glitvh or something.

I am trying to compile transmission as per your blog but I get the following:

checking for LIBCURL... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBCURL_CFLAGS
and LIBCURL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

Did this happen to you? Just wondering if you know how to fix this.

thanks,
Marco
marcozd Wrote:Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply - showrss is working now for me - maybe just a glitvh or something.

I am trying to compile transmission as per your blog but I get the following:

checking for LIBCURL... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBCURL_CFLAGS
and LIBCURL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

Did this happen to you? Just wondering if you know how to fix this.

thanks,
Marco

Hey man, it sounds like some of the libraries required didn't get installed correctly. Did you install the libcurl package before running the install? You might want to Google that specific package to make sure the right one gets installed. Honestly, I had a few similar issues pop up but thought I had listed out all the packages I had to install before installing Torrentflux in the guide, so that's odd that it still had errors. That was by far the trickiest piece of the whole setup though so don't get discouraged!

It sounds like there are some new developers picking this program back up to try to fix this stuff so hopefully one day it will be a lot more straight forward!

Sorry for the delayed response BTW. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a hands-off HTPC/NAS0