please help install nvidia-linux-x86-173.14.25-pkgl.run
Sad 
hi, please help!!!!!
very new to linux but experience windows/dos - i just have no idea to instll this file i downloaded from nvidia site.
i have a P4 with Fx5500 and get login when using xbmc live.
machine runs fine on xp with xbmc.

how do i install the driver i downloaded from Nvidia from the command line under the xbmc live on ubuntu karmic?

so far i figured out how to nav thru ubuntu command line and mount and access usb drives (using ubuntu forum for help).

please help getting the FX5500 installed - machine has no internet connection!
thats another bridge to cross to get network setup on my adsl network - very easy in windows!

thanks
Navigate to the directory where the .run file is stored and perform the following:
Code:
sh ./nvidia-linux-x86-173.14.25-pkgl.run
This command tells the shell that the following file is a shell script and to run execute it as such. After running the command the self-install script will unarchive its contents and start the installation routine. You'll be prompted several times, and after a couple of minutes it should finish its installation.
Sad 
the command to install Nvidia file worked and it installed thanks so much.
but xbmc still not work. it boots to command line.
tried xinit xbmc-standalone from command line but got a fatal error.

something to do with the NVidia driver.

this is my harware config:
MSI MEGA 865 with 3.0GHz PIV and 1GB RAM
FX5500 graphics card with s-viedio and DVI-I
booting from usb flash drive 8GB Verbatim store n go (for testing)
WiFi card Trend...
and a SATA DVDROM.

it gave a log file that i copied along with the xorg.conf file but don't see an option here to attach to this post.

i would have sticked to windows 7 but found that xbox live under ubuntu runs 1080p mkv's much smoother!

have win7 starter on netbook N150. loaded the live CD and ran same mkv movie and found the pixalation and freezing gone (still slow) on ubuntu though the Atom N450 can't really cope with mkv but i intend building up htpc with Intel D510 mobo with dual core N510 Atom. this should solve mkv.
tryklief Wrote:it gave a log file that i copied along with the xorg.conf file but don't see an option here to attach to this post.
Use http://pastebin.com/ and post the link here.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware

Quote:NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series and newer supported, GeForce 8-Series and newer recommended.
i know, but the fx5500 works with xp running and since could not get live to work i installed windows 7. this works perfectly with the k300 compro remote!
i watch movies no problem with this card on xp or win7.
the thing is, win7 is so slow. it takes long to boot plus mkv a bit sluggish on pentium iv.
i rsn the live demo on my netbook with n450 atom and ubuntu tends to boot quicker and xbmc runs better. i get same sluggish for mkv on n450 though. but whats to expect its a single core atom!

therefore it must be ubuntu where the driver conSadfig a problem. please help i really want ubuntu to work with this machine and fx5500.Sad
the problem is with the OpenGL support of the nv30 hardware. there have been some bugfixes implemented in newer XBMC revisions but I can't find any useful information what exactly you have tried to install (apart from "XBMC live on ubuntu karmic")

did you already try the current xbmcfreak live CDs? did you try to install XBMC svn version? did you use the XBMCbuntu guide or are you on full ubuntu? did you already try to upgrade the graphics stuff via x-swat ppa?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
hi, thanks for replying

i did not do anything beside run the official live that can be downloaded from xbmc.org.
i have no experience with linux.
when i encounted the problem i went straight to downloading the nvidia driver for fx5500 from nvidia site.
driver name was nvidia-linux-x86-173.14.25-pkg1.run

struggled to install this driver but got help from this forum.
driver installed but still no luck...

again the linux xbmc live runs so much better than on win7.

at least i built up some experience with linux structure and navigating and copying files as well as mounting drives.

please anyone help here. suggestions please. what is the xbmc freak live cds and svn?

if you paste a link to these i will download and try.Sad
http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
please help install nvidia-linux-x86-173.14.25-pkgl.run0