Compile XBMC Dharma on Lucid
jason32835 Wrote:So would it be safe to say that the best way to go is install xbmc-live from the PPA first, then compile source with ./configure --prefix=/usr? Is that how everyone is doing it?

That's how I do it. For me it results in a working xbmc-live with latest svn Cool
jason32835 Wrote:How do you get xbmc to autostart on boot? (or do you?) I'm doing a minimal install that boots directly to xbmc.. so that might be why I'm doing it the way I am.

I don't autostart it, but that has nothing to do if you are able to compile from svn source or not. That's an entirely different story, though very simple in my eyes ...

E.g. how about simply adding xbmc in "Startup Applications" in System -> Preferences.

Edit: Just tried it that way. Works perfectly fine, xbmc DOES autostart without a problem.

Easy as that ...

boba
Marvel Wrote:That's how I do it. For me it results in a working xbmc-live with latest svn Cool

Why do you install xbmc-live on top of a ubuntu install? Why not directly use xbmc-live CD?
Or am I missing something here? Wtf do you need xbmc-live in ubuntu? I thought this thread was about compiling from svn. live isn't needed for that in any way.

boba
boba23 Wrote:Why do you install xbmc-live on top of a ubuntu install? Why not directly use xbmc-live CD?
Or am I missing something here? Wtf do you need xbmc-live in ubuntu? I thought this thread was about compiling from svn. live isn't needed for that in any way.

boba

Hey Boba..

xbmc-live can be used on a minimal install to add some features such as boot directly to xbmc, working reboot and shutdown, etc. Why not just install xbmc-live from the CD? Cause you want the most current version of ubuntu I guess, I just prefer doing it that way.

I use this guide to install xbmc on a minimal install.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74778

The last step is to install xbmc-live.

So if you want to have the results from that guide, but also compile the most current revision from source it can be done.
boba23 Wrote:Why do you install xbmc-live on top of a ubuntu install? Why not directly use xbmc-live CD?

boba

We are installing xbmc-live on top of a minimal version of ubuntu, so we get the set-top box style

The regular xbmc-live cd isn't used because it's built on karmic not lucid

xbmc-live is just a script to add features

This thread wasn't started just to troubleshoot compile issues, it was to find out how to boot into a xbmc-live system running on Lucid which is running the latest svn(we could have just used the ppas but they are very unreliable)

From what I gather your running a full desktop style system, which is why your probarly not getting it Big Grin
Marvel Wrote:We are installing xbmc-live on top of a minimal version of ubuntu, so we get the set-top box style

The regular xbmc-live cd isn't used because it's built on karmic not lucid

xbmc-live is just a script to add features

This thread wasn't started just to troubleshoot compile issues, it was to find out how to boot into a xbmc-live system running on Lucid which is running the latest svn(we could have just used the ppas but they are very unreliable)

From what I gather your running a full desktop style system, which is why your probarly not getting it Big Grin

From post #1

Quote:My main problem is getting lucid to auto start the compiled xbmc.

From what I read there the OP didn't mention minimal ubuntu or something similiar. And yes, I am running full Ubuntu Lucid AMD64 Desktop.

boba
jason32835 Wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in compiling the most recent release from source on a minimal lucid install and I've running into trouble. I have found tons of outdated guides, but nothing workable.

My main problem is getting lucid to auto start the compiled xbmc.

*snip

-J

boba23 that the first post of TOPIC for the person. Ive highlighted the relevant area. Your quoting Marvel who did not start this topic

@ jason

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77889

as for autostart you may wanna check your grubline as well.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash  usbcore.autosuspend=-1 xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0"
then run
Code:
update-grub
X3lectric Wrote:@ jason

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77889

as for autostart you may wanna check your grubline as well.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash  usbcore.autosuspend=-1 xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0"
then run
Code:
update-grub

X3lectric,

Thank you, I am going to look into that method as it looks very simple and straight forward. I'm taking a little break from compiling and using the PPA which is building rev 32246 this morning .. and which seems to be updating more frequently now.

Kinda lazy to compile when I can apt-get upgrade Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compile XBMC Dharma on Lucid0