XBMC Live on Asrock ION 330HT - no remote
I know that support for the built-in ir on the 330HT used to work in earlier builds of Ubuntu, but it seems like newer Lucid builds have broken support. Has anybody found a workaround for this? I just installed XBMC Live this morning from the XBMC Live link (not the XBMCFreak build) and everything works but the remote (I don't even know if the proper lirc driver is installed or how to find out). The XBMC version is 9.11 r26018 and the Ubuntu version is 2.6.31-16.
I think you will be on 9.10 karmic mate not lucid, Try install the karmic drivers and see if your remote works.
How do I tell?

Linux XBMCLive 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
ok press ctrl-alt + F1 that should bring up a terminal, login and type

Code:
uname -a && cat /etc/*release
OK, thanks, it is indeed Karmic. I will try loading the IR drivers and see how it goes.

Linux XBMCLive 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=karmic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.10"
I don't know if you have seen this script but its great for installing drivers and temp sensors etc. http://sourceforge.net/projects/xci/
Sorry to be such a bother. I found that dkms was already installed, so I downloaded the 9.10 driver and transferred it to the xbmc box but get error when I run it (or is there some other way to install it? That was how I did it from the GUI in a Linux system).

xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ./lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb
./lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
./lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb: line 1: `!<arch>'
xbmc@XBMCLive:

Do you need to be root to run it?
Do you need to be root to run it?
I always run as root, most linux gurus say don't but I figure its only my media centre Laugh

Try this

Code:
aptitude purge lirc-nct*

That should remove the old driver

Then

dpkg -i "driver you want"
Marvel Wrote:I always run as root, most linux gurus say don't but I figure its only my media centre Laugh

Try this

Code:
aptitude purge lirc-nct*

That should remove the old driver

Then

dpkg -i "driver you want"
Thank you! It gave lots of errors like it was not started, but the remote is now working! I think I should leave well enough alone at this point. Earlier I tried installing Lucid and XBMC 9.11 and had everything working until I updated Linux, then the remote broke and the digital passthrough only worked very occasionally. This has been so much easier and I will elave it alone.

root@XBMCLive:/home/xbmc# dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb
Selecting previously deselected package lirc-nct677x.
(Reading database ... 42369 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc-nct677x (from lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb) ...
Setting up lirc-nct677x (1.0.4-ubuntu9.10) ...
Copy patch file...
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
...done.
`/usr/share/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko' -> `/lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko'
/etc/lirc/lircrc not existed. copy it directly.
patching file /usr/share/lirc/lirc.hwdb
* Stopping execution daemon: irexec
...fail!
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
...fail!
* Loading LIRC modules
...done.
* Starting remote control daemon(s) : LIRC
...done.
* Starting execution daemon: irexec
...fail!

root@XBMCLive:
Glad its working again, hopefully the asrock remote drivers are being built in to lirc so when that finally happens we should be ok to update kernels without worrying Big Grin.

You can have a xbmc-live style setup with lucid and latest nvidia drivers, but it can be a pain if your new to linux. I only figured out how to to do most stuff because i've had to reinstall a hundred times Rofl

Checkout that script posted above, also http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu if your feeling brave again

M.
Marvel Wrote:Glad its working again, hopefully the asrock remote drivers are being built in to lirc so when that finally happens we should be ok to update kernels without worrying Big Grin
It probably want happen in the near future, from the Lirc maillinglist http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/messa....gmail.com

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live on Asrock ION 330HT - no remote0