Startup time - Live vs OS + XBMC
I am currently running XBMC Live on my dedicated HTPC box. If I were to replace that with minimal install of Ubuntu + XBMC, how much would the boot time increase?

Thanks.
you tell us. there's no general answer to that, it depends on your hw and tons of other factors.
spiff Wrote:you tell us. there's no general answer to that, it depends on your hw and tons of other factors.

I know that. I am looking for reply from somebody that did the swap and can tell me i.e. that the boot time is twice as long. Not looking for exact figure in seconds.
^^ Running off the hard drive will probably save you a second or two.
I guess I forgot to say that I am not running of USB stick. Live is installed onto HD.
my boot from shutdown on asrock ION + minimal install Karmic and XBMC is 15~18 seconds. never ran this but from installed hdd which is crappy 5400rpm.
if you by minimal mean ubuntu including gdm & gnome it will be 5-20s slower on an asrock ion 330. If you mean minimal without gnome&gdm and otherwise setup identically to live I assume the boot time will be the same since the sw will be the same?

One thing to consider though is that live 9.11 is running legacy grub while a standard 9.10 is running grub 2.

I have tried a few different setups on my HW and assuming that you dont want to strip the system too much my conclusion is that it only differs like 10% which is not a huge deal for me.
My advice is to set it up the way you like it and if you are then not happy with the boot time focus on the HW instead. I hear that the intel SSD is pretty good.
Well by minimal I mean a "xbmclive like install" anything with gnome/gdm is no longer minimal imo.

However my minimal install runs grub2 and ureadahead along with a few tweaks to remove un-necessary crap.
vikjon0 Wrote:I hear that the intel SSD is pretty good.

I have the small 40GB budget intel in my netbox, and while not as fast as the 80GB model, the value is awesome
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Quote:Well by minimal I mean a "xbmclive like install" anything with gnome/gdm is no longer minimal imo.

I understand, but I was refering to the original question and my point is that if you make a minimal install this may or may not be 100% identical to a live installation. Thus it is not possible to give any relavant answer to:
Quote: If I were to replace that with minimal install of Ubuntu + XBMC, how much would the boot time increase?

If thats what he/she means...
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can go ahead and replace Live with Ubuntu+XBMC.
vikjon0

I was just giving my boot time as a reference maybe that will help someone reach a conclusion. I avoind full desktop as I have no need for it on a HTPC only setup.
An SSD drive is the way to go. My media center boots in 2-3 seconds now compared to before it was more like 15 seconds. It boots so fast that most of the boot time is the TV adjusting the input signal Big Grin It's awesome Smile
Glad you guys brought this up.

Where are the best deals on SSDs?
X3lectric Wrote:my boot from shutdown on asrock ION + minimal install Karmic and XBMC is 15~18 seconds. never ran this but from installed hdd which is crappy 5400rpm.

I call bogus, as I have an SSD in my zotac ion box, and I'm running the live version off of it. with a 5400 Rpm drive it took ~35-40 seconds to boot from powered off, with the SSD it takes ~23 seconds. no way your 5400 rpm drive takes less than an SSD.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Startup time - Live vs OS + XBMC0