xbmcfreak 9.11 v15 and ftp write access
OK i've installed xbmcfreak 9.11 v15 to the harddrive and boot from it. Everything works perfectly and i'm able to play movies with no stutter across my network.

Now the issue comes when i log in via FTP to update a few things.

I've been trying to get my remote to work fully (most buttons work fine) and have discovered a solution but then hit a brick wall.

My remote is a Emprex 3009URF and i followed this guide to get the extra buttons to work

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=550...stcount=37

OK so created the file, ftp'din to find XBMC directory is read only. OK no prob, i just need to login with username / password as xbmc instead of the one live asked me to create. Nope, xbmc doesn't exist. Bugger, ok, i'll put that file in my ~home directory and reboot, that should work. Nope Sad ok ok so i go into a shell in putty and do as others suggest here and sudo passwd root it asks for my password

Code:
[sudo] password for danz0l:
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
danz0l@unknown90fba6876a78:~$

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ok lets continue looking, try search and eventually find

Quote:log in via SSH and change the permissions on the file or folder you are trying to write to to 775

sudo chmod -R 775 [directory]

if that doesn't work try 777

that sounds like a workable idea.

Code:
danz0l@unknown90fba6876a78:/home$ sudo chmod -R 775 xbmc
chmod: changing permissions of `xbmc': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `xbmc/.profile': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `xbmc/.bash_logout': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `xbmc/.bashrc': Read-only file system

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH. OK no idea how to proceed and write to that directory. Fine, its likely me so i'll move on to try something else.

Having popcorn hour c200 on the same network i want to share these media files in xbmc. No problem each has fanart, poster and nfo. However due to Aeon skin in yamj handling
Code:
<plot></plot>
badly i use
Code:
<outline></outline>
in nfo's.

Now XBMC skins don't like and i end up with no plot or outline at all as i don't have
Code:
<plot></plot>
in the nfos.

Right, back to searching and eventually find i can replace plot with outline in the skins

Quote:I'm using xbmc live - not windows, but I was after the same thing when in Library mode using mediainfo 2 view. Following the suggestions on this thread did the trick (changing ListItem.Plot to ListItem.Plotoutline). In my case I modified the ViewsVideoLibrary.xml file found in /usr/share/xbmc/skin/Confluence/720p

Great, so i ftp in, grab the file, edit, try to reupload and BAM, read only file system again. Oh no, not again Sad

Ok so i'll put it my ~home directory under .xbmc/skins, that will work. Guess what, yes your starting to see a pattern here, my ~home directory ~danz0l/.xbmc/skin folder is read only too.

So now i'm at a loss. Is it me, the xbmcfreak distro or something i need to change ? I really need help here guys.
OK impatient maybe but wanted to rule this out. Recreated a boot thumb with livecd 9.11 repack on it and installed as above. Now i can't ftp in at all, keep getting unknown host Sad

Tried WinSCP and port 22 and port 21 normal FTP and no host found Sad
in winscp try changing protocol from ftp to scp in the drop down menu.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
AHA some success.

Managed to login via FTP using direct IP address. Wooooooooohooooo.

Managed to upload ".xsessionrc" to XBMC directory

Managed to change password of root and login. woohooo Smile

So it looks like XBMCfreak cd is the problem
harryzimm Wrote:in winscp try changing protocol from ftp to scp in the drop down menu.

cheers

Thanks Smile i see you have the same acer revo as me. Wish i could have got this working with XBMCfreak cd as i had it set just the way i liked it but looking at making progress now Smile
Mmmmm ironically re-installed xbmcfreak and all is now working. very weird. Bloody remote still isn't though Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcfreak 9.11 v15 and ftp write access0