Buying a computer for XBMC!
Smile 
Hi all!
I have finally decided to move on from my relationship with my Dear Old Xbox 1.
With water in my eyes I therefore turn to this forum to get some advice on which computer to choose.

I have found that (some of) the Zotag(s) tend to be noisy, and the Acer Revo is a bit old.

Which pre-built machine should I choose?

I have a 50" Pioneer plasma with HDMI-IN, and I have no absolute need for DVD/Blue-Ray drive, but it would be nice.

The machine should be trusty as my old xbox but waaay less noisy. I also would like it to play HD (1080i) easily. Optical out would also be nice.

Please advice!
Here is your machine
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77886
THIS>>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856173005

-=Jason=-
Thank you very much!
But when the review says "not so quiet", how quiet is that?
Compared to a Xbox 360 for example? Or a xbox 1?
It's very quiet. There were initially some problems with the fan making some noise, but that was all fixed early on with a firmware upgrade.

Great little box, couldn't be happier. Also they are very responsive on their support forums.
Revo AR1600 for $200 here in Canada is the cheapest solution I know. It'll slice 'n' dice 1080p BD rips no problem. For a little more, consider the Zotac Mag - not loud at all since the fan control firmware update. It has a little more WAF but no keyboard/mouse.
matchsmalone Wrote:It's very quiet. There were initially some problems with the fan making some noise, but that was all fixed early on with a firmware upgrade.

Great little box, couldn't be happier. Also they are very responsive on their support forums.

But don't you need to add RAM and a HDD for the Zotac Zbox ION Atom D510?

So the price jumps up a bit, right?
mr.sparkle Wrote:Revo AR1600 for $200 here in Canada is the cheapest solution I know. It'll slice 'n' dice 1080p BD rips no problem. For a little more, consider the Zotac Mag - not loud at all since the fan control firmware update. It has a little more WAF but no keyboard/mouse.

Sorry for double posting, but what RAM did you add to the AR1600 to make it work with 1080p rips or did you just leave it as is when you bought it?

Rofl
See here. You won't find a better deal on a pre-built dual core box.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
burritoboy9984 Wrote:See here. You won't find a better deal on a pre-built dual core box.

-Erik

Sold -- going to buy this after work.

Thanks Erik! Nod
Stigy Wrote:Sorry for double posting, but what RAM did you add to the AR1600 to make it work with 1080p rips or did you just leave it as is when you bought it?

Rofl

You don't need a dual core, nor an extra gig of RAM. I recently set up an AR1600 for a buddy (single core, 1GB RAM). I didn't even up the video RAM to 512MB in the bios. It plays 1080p high bit-rate mkvs just fine. Of course, the GUI may be a little snappier with an extra GB of RAM, especially with heavy skin like Aeon. Or maybe a faster hard drive (SSD) might make a bigger difference - not sure. But for strict video playback, a single-core Atom, 1GB RAM combo does the job, I assure you.

I think there's also a single-core Zotac, which should be cheaper. Remember, no wireless keyboard/mouse comes with the Zotacs.
Thank you all!
I went for the Zotac ZBOXand I'm setting it up right nowSmile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying a computer for XBMC!0