I s there an advantage to using DXVA2
Just wondering if I should be using DXVA2 on my setup. The computer is powerful enough not to have to use it (core 2 duo E8400 3.00 ghz with integrated nvidia 9400 graphics). Are there advantages either way? Heat wise is it better for the cpu or gpu to do most of the work? I have tried enabling and disabling it and see no performance issues with latest Dharma nightly release either way. So should I enable it just for power consumption maybe? Appreciate any feedback on this. Running windows vista by the way
Lower power usage, less resource use, smoother playback and probably a few other things.

For example, i've got an AMD 240e (2.8GHz dual core cpu) and a HD4550 in my HTPC. The power usage the cpu is rated at is 45w and the gpu has been shown to absolute max out at 20w.

Playing 1080p content on the current stable build of XBMC pegs the cpu at between 30% to 70% depending on the video. With that pushing the cpu a little it's going to generate heat and because of that the cpu fan will spin up making more noise. Whereas my gpu is a passively cooled low profile card.

By offloading to the gpu it's also ensuring a quieter HTPC since the cpu for the most part will be idle.

Honestly, if your computer is capable of DXVA2 then the question you should be asking yourself is why shouldn't I be using it?
[QUOTE=Honestly, if your computer is capable of DXVA2 then the question you should be asking yourself is why shouldn't I be using it?[/quote]

Then it's DXVA2 for me. Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I s there an advantage to using DXVA20