Intermittent IR remote response with Mac mini
Hi all -

I've just purchased a new Mac Mini (mid 2010 version, standard spec) for XBMC. I'm having an issue with the IR remote being "intermittent". Sometimes clicks work, sometimes not. It can stop for 5-10 seconds, occasionally longer, and then work again. I'm using the standard Apple aluminium remote, and I have XBMC remote set to "Standard". I've also tried it with a Harmony One remote, and have the same issue.

I've tried it with both the standard Apple IR drivers, and Candelair, latest version. No difference. I've also tried FrontRow with the standard Apple remote, and don't seem to have any issues.

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.4, and using the standard 9.11 XBMC release. I'm connected to an A/V Amp (Onkyo 606) via HDMI.

One other datapoint: it seems to be better when windowed, i.e. it's much worse when full-screen. But either windowed, or full-screen, navigating via the keyboard is very fast and responsive, and there are no other performance issues. CPU load seems fairly low.

Any suggestions as to what I can look at to try and resolve this? It's very annoying, and I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Thanks!

- Mike
XBMCHelper can be run in verbose mode. You might want to exit XBMC, kill off any running XBMCHelper and then run it from a terminal using -v (I think it is) and seeing whether you get the same issue - each button press (down and up) will be logged to the terminal window.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

miketja Wrote:Hi all -

I've just purchased a new Mac Mini (mid 2010 version, standard spec) for XBMC. I'm having an issue with the IR remote being "intermittent". Sometimes clicks work, sometimes not. It can stop for 5-10 seconds, occasionally longer, and then work again. I'm using the standard Apple aluminium remote, and I have XBMC remote set to "Standard". I've also tried it with a Harmony One remote, and have the same issue.

I've tried it with both the standard Apple IR drivers, and Candelair, latest version. No difference. I've also tried FrontRow with the standard Apple remote, and don't seem to have any issues.

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.4, and using the standard 9.11 XBMC release. I'm connected to an A/V Amp (Onkyo 606) via HDMI.

One other datapoint: it seems to be better when windowed, i.e. it's much worse when full-screen. But either windowed, or full-screen, navigating via the keyboard is very fast and responsive, and there are no other performance issues. CPU load seems fairly low.

Any suggestions as to what I can look at to try and resolve this? It's very annoying, and I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Thanks!

- Mike

I also have this issue with the new mac mini. I'd be very appreciative if you find a fix to post it here.
jmarshall Wrote:XBMCHelper can be run in verbose mode. You might want to exit XBMC, kill off any running XBMCHelper and then run it from a terminal using -v (I think it is) and seeing whether you get the same issue - each button press (down and up) will be logged to the terminal window.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks. I've tried this, and it does seem like XBMCHelper is not detecting all button pushes. I've not seen any presses being logged to the terminal window, that weren't received by XBMC, so I don't think it's an issue with presses getting "lost" or unhandled between XBMCHelper and the main XBMC application.

This testing also did confirm that the remote does seem to work fine when XBMC is windowed, but fails when full-screen. I've tried other 1080p refresh rates (50, 24) and the issue remains.

Any other suggestions? I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks,

- Mike

EDIT: PS. Other screen sizes don't impact this issue either, the problem still exists at 720p. Also, I've tested the iPhone XBMC Remote application, and that works fine, no performance issues at all.
im also having this issue, and same deal, tried different drivers and all.

any updates to fixing this problem? i know its not xbmc specific, but surely someone knows how to fix this?
Same problem here,annoying Blush
Count me in. having the same issue with 2009 Mac Mini.
yep... I have the same issue with my Mac Mini (PPC) and IR Apple remote.
I use an external USB receiver and Remote Buddy. Sometimes XBMC would simply not react to a remote click. After ca. 5 secs. another click on the remote would then be recogniezed by XBMC.
The funny thing is that if I use a remote mouse via BT (Targus) i don't experience any delay at all. It is pretty fast.

Still
Perhaps if some of you who are having this problem posted log files someone could help you.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent IR remote response with Mac mini0