Vsync in faked fullscreen window
Hi,

Using svn 32102, I have recently switched to using faked fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen window mode.

This has brought along a not so nice side effect of giving me unsmooth transitions in all of the menus no matter what skin, obviously more noticible with one of the aeon skins like aeon65.

I have a Core i7 920 @ 3.7ghz and GTX 295 so I don't think performance is an issue. My question for the developers is, what method does xbmc use for keeping vsync in non windowed mode.

With vsync disabled, frame rate jumps up to 100, with it off it always stays 1 or 2 fps below my screens rate of 50, so about 48.

It seems to be this slight difference between 50 and 48 that causes the nowhere near smooth transitions.

Switching back to true fullscreen mode gives pure 50 and pure smoothness. I know perfect smoothness can be achieved also in non fullscreen mode as can be demonstrated with video renderers like madVR which can show pure smooth 50fps vsync.

Anyone know if this can be improved? I know some games like gta4 also use a strange method to keep vsync, it keeps the frame rate ~2fps below the screen rate. With its own vsync off, and nvidias on (done properly) I'm back to perfect smoothness so perhaps xbmc behaves like this currently also?
The only thing that comes close is sleepbeforeflip, and that's turned off by default.
Do you think it warrants a bug report... just that other apps seem to be able to get smooth motion in non true fullscreen mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vsync in faked fullscreen window0