Can't shut down or reboot [log file attached]
Hi All,

I am new to the board, and to the XBMC as well as linux. So would like to have your help. I am trying as much as I can to follow the board's posting rule regarding to my shutdown/reboot issue.

My problem is that I can't shutdown/reboot the computer after I choose to showdown/reboot menu from XBMC's power options.

I installed my xbmc system based on this XBMCbuntu tutorial. Not like others experiencing this after install some scripts, I can't shutdown or reboot the system from the very beginning after the installation. By choosing the shutdown option, all I can get is a blank screen with a X cursor in the middle.

I have tried to add a 'custom-actions.pkla' file by following this forum thread. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Possibly because the "devicekit-power" is replaced by "upower" where I installed upower instead. This could be the reason why I have an error in the log "Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power was not provided by any .service files"

Here are my settings:

Hardware:
CPU= AMD Athlon II X2 450
Mem= 2G DDR2
Mobo= MSI 785GTM-E45
Video= On board ATI 4200
HD= 10GB IDE 5400r/m (old)

Software:
OS= Ubuntu Server 10.04 AMD64
Kernal= Linux 2.6.32-21-server
XBMC= 9.11 r26018
Architecture = x86_64

Log file attached at here

Can someone help please? Thanks very much in advance.
No one?
Bump!
you need to read the other posts on the same topic.
Also the xbmcbuntu guide tells you to install karmic, did you do that?
vikjon0 Wrote:you need to read the other posts on the same topic.
Also the xbmcbuntu guide tells you to install karmic, did you do that?

vikjon, what are you suggesting?

After I could not find any answer from reading "the other" posts, I posted my question regarding to the forum rule. Do you mean I have done something against this forum rules? Or is there any specific "other posts" can you point to?

The guide says "This guide assumes you are using the latest non-desktop version of Ubuntu" which is no longer Karmic but Lucid! I have carefully read everything I could find before posting, have you?

Looking forward to some quality response.
Did you really search the forums? I found that problem a hundred times.

Ok I am running Lucid but used another method to fix the shutdown problem, but this method looks much easier:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76726
Quote:This guide assumes you are using the latest non-desktop version of Ubuntu. As of this writing, Ubuntu Server 9.10 Karmic Koala.

As you can see the guide is only tested for karmic. Use karmic mini and you will be golden.

Quote:Do you mean I have done something against this forum rules?
Not at all and I am not the moderator. However, since no one could be bothered to answer you, I decided to point you in the right direction.

This lucid problem is covered over and over again and this is probably why you dont get an answer. I guess the guide will be updated when the next xbmc is released.
BurningSky Wrote:Did you really search the forums? I found that problem a hundred times.

Ok I am running Lucid but used another method to fix the shutdown problem, but this method looks much easier:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76726

Hi BurningSky, thank you! Yes, I did searched the forum for this issue, however, maybe due to wrong search term or whatever, I didn't find a working solution until I see your input. Thanks, it solved my problem.

BTW, thank u vicjon0, though you didn't offer much help, you did help pull some attention to this thread and resulted a great solution.

To conclude this post, I hope all of you experts can help those dumb head noobs like me with more patience so that we can learn faster. In many case, it is not because we are not trying hard, it's because we are not packed with enough knowledge and tools.

For the convenience to other noobs like me, the solution to my problem is: Open a terminal, and run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ivman

After that, please reboot before you can see everything works like a charm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't shut down or reboot [log file attached]0