iPhone recorded video orientation
I've been looking around a bit on the forums here and haven't found anything about this topic. What I'm curious about is video that has been recorded using an iPhone held vertically rather than horizontally. I've read a bit online about this and from what I've read, this is my basic understanding: Video recorded on an iPhone gets a type of "Rotation flag", that currently quicktime seems to be the only player that reads it. This Rotation Flag tells how the phone was held when recording the video, the result when the flag is not recognized is that the movie plays horizontally, even though it was recorded vertically, and the result is a movie that is playing on it's side.

I have some video that was recorded vertically and the only player it plays correctly with is quicktime, for awhile I set all .mov files to play in quicktime using it has an external player through xbmc. Personally I hate quicktime and this is a crappy solution, especially when I watch a apple trailer and it now plays in quicktime. In the end I just turned off that external player set up, and I'm wondering if it would be possible for xbmc to recognize this flag?

I know the real solution is only record video horizontally on my phone which I do now. However I have several home video clips from over the past year which were recorded vertically, also I think with the popularity of the iPhone and better recording capabilities more and more people will probably be using it for home video type recordings more often.

Here's one of the better articles I came acrossed while reading online about this:
http://orb-of-knowledge.blogspot.com/201...ation.html

HTPC: Acer Revo 3610, Windows 7, Latest XBMC Nightlies, Hulu Desktop, Netflix, and Harmony 300 Remote
Server: 4 TB (and growing) WHS
This would be something that should be fixed in ffmpeg and then probably exposed to the players to take into account when playing.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPhone recorded video orientation0