Smallest PC that can run XBMC?
I have the Revo - very quiet and cool - runs Win7, XBMC (locally and server) and Spotify onto a large HD LCD TV - wireless and fixed LAN. It really isn't that big.

One point to note with all of these though is that once to connect cables to it, it's a lot bigger all of a sudden.
simmb Wrote:Yes no problems running XBMC, I have XBMC running on Linux with this box never tried it on windows. I use a sd card instead of a Hard drive for the os and XBMC and then have an external usb drive for my media.
When watching 1080p stuff the fan ramps up to max but it's not too loud and it does get a tad warm but nothing that would melt anything, playing music only it should run nice and cool. If you are into modding, the case on this is a soft plastic so it's easy to cut a hole out above the cpu/fan and place some mesh over the hole or something similar. That helps ventilation a lot and you may get away with running it without a fan if music is all you are using it for.

Yes, only music. That's good to know about the fan. If i notice it gets too hot, I'll consider cutting the top off and add a passive cooling to it - like copper pipes that lead away from the pc (although I'm not sure how well it would work in a 10% air tight environment. Thanks!
vinistois Wrote:here's one

Or here's an even smaller one

Theres lots out there.

What I don't get is... why don't you just put a jack on the tube and plug your ipod into it. You'll save hundreds of dollars, and many hours of time dicking around trying to get this idea working...

Thanks! But they are both a little too wide to fit.
Will these run XBMC? Lately with all the ION's and other tiny processors starting to come out, I am so clueless as to what XBMC will run on. I know ARM processors are out of the question.

LMAO "dicking" around is too much fun - I've had this idea for 4 years. I currently have a set-up with a Pelican case with a Zune, pre amp inside, and 2 marine speakers mounted in plastic coffee canisters. It works ok, but it is completely "ghetto". Plus, the interaction of it with family and friends is the best part.

Now that computers are getting very small and affordable with the addition to mobile phone apps finally in the mainstream, it's closer of a reality for me to do this project.
da-anda Wrote:Although it's not based on XBMC, I think I have the easiest and cheapest solution for you, if you're using your music tube together with a iPod-Touch or iPhone anyway. Check out this bluetooth music receiver from belkin. I got one here connected to my stereo and it's working quite fine. The only downside is, that your buddies can't control your music, but the could (as long as they get a bluetooth connection, which should reach up to 33 meters in the wild) stream their music from their iPod to your tube. Maybe that's worth a try.

LOL. Great minds think alike! I actually have this device at home and it's connection capabilities are horrible. I had a direct line of sight 4 feet away and the signal would cut out - a lot.

Bluetooth was my original idea a few years back. I considered taking a BT headset and connect it to a preamp and then to a speaker.
* Headphone jack out of any PC to FM transmitter (e.g. in-car style - 50nW - up to 8metresHuh).
* Android phone with XBMC App to control via wireless LAN so computer can be headless.
* Shower radio tuned to frequency.

Waterproof and small.

Big Grin
bump up to an 8" pvc pipe and your options have doubled your options

OR.....

http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional_drawings/p.php
1 8" main tube sdr35
2 8x6" bell reducer>> Plastic Trends P608-6 http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional...P608-6.pdf
2 6" street 90s>> Plastic Trends P226 http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional...f/P226.pdf

or go BIG and just use 8" 90s and 8" speakers Smile

I work for HD Supply Waterworks so I am failure with these parts

-=jason=-
simmb Wrote:Yes no problems running XBMC, I have XBMC running on Linux with this box never tried it on windows. I use a sd card instead of a Hard drive for the os and XBMC and then have an external usb drive for my media.
When watching 1080p stuff the fan ramps up to max but it's not too loud and it does get a tad warm but nothing that would melt anything, playing music only it should run nice and cool. If you are into modding, the case on this is a soft plastic so it's easy to cut a hole out above the cpu/fan and place some mesh over the hole or something similar. That helps ventilation a lot and you may get away with running it without a fan if music is all you are using it for.

Does yours have WiFi (802.11 b/g I assume)?
If so, what is the overall width of it with the antenna on and bent up - lik ethe photos show?
What is the WiFi card model? I plan on using Connectify with Windows 7, and it doesn't work with all cards.

Sorry to bug the hell out of you. Smile
Flomaster Wrote:bump up to an 8" pvc pipe and your options have doubled your options

OR.....

http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional_drawings/p.php
1 8" main tube sdr35
2 8x6" bell reducer>> Plastic Trends P608-6 http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional...P608-6.pdf
2 6" street 90s>> Plastic Trends P226 http://www.plastictrends.com/dimensional...f/P226.pdf

or go BIG and just use 8" 90s and 8" speakers Smile

I work for HD Supply Waterworks so I am failure with these parts

-=jason=-

Jason,
I don't understand your last sentence. Why are you "failure" with these parts?

I'll post some diagrams of my design later on a new topic (probably off topic forum?). I want to keep this thread going for discussions for the smallest PC possible that can run XBMC.

I will definitely want to get some more insight from you on PVC piping though. Thanks!
tedbone Wrote:Yeah, maybe I'm not explaining what I need correctly. My terms are probably all over the place.

Let me give more detail:
I go Kayaking and camping and want portable music in one simple carrying case scenario like a sealed PVC tube with a speaker on each end - whatever the case is it needs to be waterproof (sealed/air tight). The case will have need to have an access panel to open up and turn on the device(s), but it wouldn't be easily accessible while kayaking.

This music system will be an audio amp, 2 speakers, a battery, and some sort of very small computing device/server with WiFi running XBMC.

This set up would sit towards the front of the Kayak out of reach). So, I would open the case, power it up, close the case making it waterproof, and strap it to the kayak.

I will have an iPod running XBMC Remote that will control the music selection of the music device while I paddle along. The iPod acts as the "head unit".

As a bonus - If other fellow kayakers have iPods/iPhones (or other Mobile devices) running an XBMC Remote app they'd also be able to connect to my music system and see what's playing and select songs too (given that they are within my WiFi range.

EDIT: It'd be like a mobile Jukebox on the water.

My problem is that I need a really small computer that will:
1) Fit into about a 6 inch diameter PVC Pipe and not melt or explode due to heat in an enclosed environment (passive cooling I suppose)

2) It is my understanding that not all processors and small form factor PC's are compatible with XBMC.

XBMC may be overkill, but I like how easy it is to set up, so I prefer it. I am open to anything.

I hope this helps.

I'll post some sketches that may explain this set up better.

This means it will run on battery? If so the only thing I'd suggest is ARM based, for example beagleboard. Although it won't run XBMC perfect it will be enough for your needs CPU wise and with a smallish battery it runs for a couple of hours.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
tedbone Wrote:Does yours have WiFi (802.11 b/g I assume)?
If so, what is the overall width of it with the antenna on and bent up - lik ethe photos show?
What is the WiFi card model? I plan on using Connectify with Windows 7, and it doesn't work with all cards.

Sorry to bug the hell out of you. Smile

No problem, yes it has wifi 802.11 b/g its an Atheros AR5B95. They suppply Win7 wifi drivers so I assume it works fine. I will have to measure how much the antenna adds to the width but I would say off the top of my head it would be approx 1.5-2cm I don't have the antenna attached at the moment I use ethernet so I am guessing a bit, I will dig it out and measure it exactly for you. As it happens I am in the process of putting in a new bathroom so I will stick it in an offcut of waste pipe I have lying around and seal it up and get some running temps for you.
Big Grin 
simmb Wrote:No problem, yes it has wifi 802.11 b/g its an Atheros AR5B95. They suppply Win7 wifi drivers so I assume it works fine. I will have to measure how much the antenna adds to the width but I would say off the top of my head it would be approx 1.5-2cm I don't have the antenna attached at the moment I use ethernet so I am guessing a bit, I will dig it out and measure it exactly for you. As it happens I am in the process of putting in a new bathroom so I will stick it in an offcut of waste pipe I have lying around and seal it up and get some running temps for you.

Oh, wow! Thanks! I'll have to buy you a beer for all that help!
So, far I really like this one -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119026
it has 802.11n. The others on NewEgg don't appear to have any WiFi? The bonus is that when I'm not camping or Kayaking, this can be a great media center pc as well. Some of the reviewers on NewEgg claim that it runs XBMC without any issues.
topfs2 Wrote:This means it will run on battery? If so the only thing I'd suggest is ARM based, for example beagleboard. Although it won't run XBMC perfect it will be enough for your needs CPU wise and with a smallish battery it runs for a couple of hours.

Yep, battery for sure. I plan on using a small bettery/batteries and add solar charging/AC battery charging capabilities. I'm not sure XBMC will run at all on an ARM processors, much less perfect. But I could be wrong about thatHuh
I love this idea. Very creative. Have you seen these (they are ARM based)?

http://www.opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260

Also Google System On a Chip (SOC) for some ideas.

Having the unit partially submerged may help with heat dissipation. I guess that's tough with speakers at both ends.

Your idea originally made me think of "PC in a beer can".

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bubbacomp/

How about build it in keg and put an inner-tube around the keg and have it float along with you. Hell you could stick a car battery in there. I use to do this but the keg held something more conventional.
SpitIV Wrote:I love this idea. Very creative. Have you seen these (they are ARM based)?

http://www.opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260

Also Google System On a Chip (SOC) for some ideas.

Having the unit partially submerged may help with heat dissipation. I guess that's tough with speakers at both ends.

Your idea originally made me think of "PC in a beer can".

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bubbacomp/

How about build it in keg and put an inner-tube around the keg and have it float along with you. Hell you could stick a car battery in there. I use to do this but the keg held something more conventional.

LOL! I love the Keg Idea!
The "BubbaComp" is phenominal!

I'm reading about the Linuxstamp II 9260
Is it possible to run XBMC on this?
simmb Wrote:No problem, yes it has wifi 802.11 b/g its an Atheros AR5B95. They suppply Win7 wifi drivers so I assume it works fine. I will have to measure how much the antenna adds to the width but I would say off the top of my head it would be approx 1.5-2cm I don't have the antenna attached at the moment I use ethernet so I am guessing a bit, I will dig it out and measure it exactly for you. As it happens I am in the process of putting in a new bathroom so I will stick it in an offcut of waste pipe I have lying around and seal it up and get some running temps for you.

Hey simmb,
A light just came on in my head.
i just read another review about the Foxconn NT - it was similar to what you said about the hard drive/cpu area getting really hot, however; running XBMC Live makes it run much cooler. I was considering getting an 32 gig SSD, but I thinkn XBMC Live on a USB, CF or SDHC might be the ticket. I can save that ~$100 from the SSD.

Funny thing - I've only been using XBMC for Windows and never bothered to see what XBMC Live was. LOL.

You are running Linux, right? I suppose you have an HDD/SSD in your Foxconn NT?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smallest PC that can run XBMC?0