• 4(current)
Revo 3610 - Avatar - stuttering
GJones Wrote:Maybe a wrong path but it's worth checking out: where is the movie stored? Is it on an eSATA disk? What filesystem is on the attached disk? Is it on a network share? If so, how is the Revo connected to the network?

I tried it over 100Mbps LAN, USB stick and Revos hard drive. But I've also tried it from usb stick and over the LAN to XBMC running on 2 of my PCs and they worked ok.
>>X<<' Wrote:I'm running XP and DSPlayer on an Asrock 330, killa sample is as smooth as butter using either DXVA or CoreAVC/CUDA which its currently using tried live didn't notice much if any difference in the GUI

you're running xbmc through windows then?
Hi,
Just thought i would chime in here. I just tried the killa sample on my revo 330 and it played nice and smooth (over gigabit network). I also get the stutter at the very start but if you push left a couple of times to the start it pays perfect with no dropped frames. I also have uncompressed blu-rays that play correctly as well. The only files i have a problem playing are vc1 encoded but thats a known bug. Im running minimal lucid x86 using this guide. I have tried windows on the revo and i have to agree that its very sluggish compared to a minimal linux install.(with regard to menu navigation etc)

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Vankwish Wrote:I found this in the howto section . . .

Not sure if its what your describing, perhaps you should check the thread out?

@>>X<<

TBH the biggest improvement I found in the GUI was the addition of a SSD to my Revo, how do you find xbmc on xp generally? I only tried it with win 7.

Some interesting things to try there, thanks for that. I'll give it a go.
Vankwish Wrote:@>>X<<

TBH the biggest improvement I found in the GUI was the addition of a SSD to my Revo, how do you find xbmc on xp generally? I only tried it with win 7.

Seems fine to me but have nothing to compare it to haven't tried w7

MrCarbo Wrote:you're running xbmc through windows then?

Last time I looked XP was still windows Big Grin
No problems with full 1080p here on a stock 3610 running minimal Ubuntu + xbmc.
I have some news.

I borrowed someone elses R3610, booted off the latest XBMCFreak CD (on USB) and it just worked without any issues at all - the killa sample, the 30GB Avatar rip.

Booted my R3610 using exactly the same USB stick - didn't work.

Checked all BIOS settings, only difference I could see was that his had an older version of the BIOS. So I created a USB DOS boot, saved his BIOS and downgraded mine to that same bios version. Booted XBMC... still didn't work.

Then I looked at his box, there are some differences. His R3610 has a manufactured date of 25 December 2009 (merry blinkin xmas) and mine was manufactured on the 23 April 2010. His had an atheros WLAN component, mine has something else... can't remember what.

So basically I think the new Revo's have something different about them.

I've noticed on this thread there are people that say it should just work... and there are those that have had problems and say it just doesn't work for high bit rate HD media... I wonder if those that have trouble have a more recently manufactured RevoHuh? :eek2:
Well I have a 29/12/2009 (came with win 7) and 15/01/2010 (came with Linux) both play everything fine . . . it could still possibly be a hardware fault though?
Playing with XBMC on all platforms :)
Very interesting. The two systems that I have problems with both have the same type of RAM. Did the Revo change RAM in later revisions? I'll have to run memtest on my system.
Some other things.

1. Using the latest XBMCFreak CD (USB) - I can't boot my Revo with it but I can boot my mates revo with it. On my machine it gets stuck. On both machines it flashes up something about unknown user or something, but on my mates it flashes it up once, then the xbmc logo, and then it's loaded. On mine it just keeps flashing up the user message... then going blank... then flashing it up. I've left it 5 minutes and it just carries on. Does anyone know if there'll be a log file somewhere?

2. When I boot up my mates and play avatar the info says dc:ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau. When I boot mine up from the HDD, which is using a slightly older version of xbmc at the moment, it says dc:ff-h264_vdpau. The "-vdpau" is missing. I don't know if that's just a difference between the 2 versions of XBMC or whether the nvidia driver version is different or whether it tells us something else? I can't remember what mine said when I've had it running the latest SVN a day or so ago.

Not working:

Working:

Maybe that's nothing important.
pennant Wrote:Very interesting. The two systems that I have problems with both have the same type of RAM. Did the Revo change RAM in later revisions? I'll have to run memtest on my system.

I've run memtest on the 2 machines here while I have both.

My non-working machine:

Mates working machine:

52MB/s speed difference between the two... whether that's affecting it? Whether they've altered other parts of the system?

Stare @ Acer

Could probably replace the memory, but shouldn't have to and would invalidate the warranty.
Can you post a debug log of Avatar playing correctly on the 2nd Revo? I wonder if the same error message still appears. This is really baffling considering everything is identical. I assume you're using the same TV? Where is the Avatar rip located (network share, external drive)?
pennant Wrote:Can you post a debug log of Avatar playing correctly on the 2nd Revo? I wonder if the same error message still appears. This is really baffling considering everything is identical. I assume you're using the same TV? Where is the Avatar rip located (network share, external drive)?

I'll post the log tonight when I get home.
your revo has a hardware problem, for heaven's sake... probably something GPU-related. just go and have it replaced.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:your revo has a hardware problem, for heaven's sake... probably something GPU-related. just go and have it replaced.

There's someone else claiming to have problems with 2 units (pennant) - I believe they're both R3610's. Are we saying he's got 2 faulty ones? Or that the problem with those 2 units is something different?

ebuyer are offering an RMA and replacement; I'm not convinced that a replacement will not be the same, and of course each return is at my expense.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 3610 - Avatar - stuttering1