Cancel automatic log-in XBMC Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
After a long time this is my first post on the forum. i have used it very regular to read all guide and how-to's.

Now I got stuck at automatic log-in of XBMC.
I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with XBMC on a ASrock 330HT. Everything works (remote control and videocards, sound over fiber, pictures using HDMI.

I have created only 1 log-in XBMC.
With the help of the guide I managed to automaticaly log-in to XBMC when starting my ASrock 330HT. As I thought I can log-out easily and use the desktop to browse the web with firefox I saw no danger doing that.
But when iI log off of XBMC I need to relon-on. When I use the XBMC user XBMC starts right away.
When I type root the password for root is not recognised.
When trying to change the setting for user XBMC everything is greyed out. i can not change a single thing.

All options mentioned in this forum I tried except reinstalling, while the system is perfect after long time trial and error.
Is it possible to make, with the command line / putty, an extra user that can have access and repair the issue.

Thanks for helping!
Placemaster Wrote:After a long time this is my first post on the forum. i have used it very regular to read all guide and how-to's.

Now I got stuck at automatic log-in of XBMC.
I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with XBMC on a ASrock 330HT. Everything works (remote control and videocards, sound over fiber, pictures using HDMI.

I have created only 1 log-in XBMC.
With the help of the guide I managed to automaticaly log-in to XBMC when starting my ASrock 330HT. As I thought I can log-out easily and use the desktop to browse the web with firefox I saw no danger doing that.
But when iI log off of XBMC I need to relon-on. When I use the XBMC user XBMC starts right away.
When I type root the password for root is not recognised.
When trying to change the setting for user XBMC everything is greyed out. i can not change a single thing.

All options mentioned in this forum I tried except reinstalling, while the system is perfect after long time trial and error.
Is it possible to make, with the command line / putty, an extra user that can have access and repair the issue.

Thanks for helping!

Your xbmc user is set to automatically start xbmc.

You need to add another user and Login as this user and start gnome to go the normal ubuntu desktop
Placemaster Wrote:....Is it possible to make, with the command line / putty, an extra user that can have access and repair the issue.
Thanks for helping!

tdw197 Wrote:Your xbmc user is set to automatically start xbmc.
You need to add another user and Login as this user and start gnome to go the normal ubuntu desktop

How helpful.

First you would have to be able to log in via putty using your one user account. Does that work? If so, then you should be able to add another user from the shell just fine.

It sounds like you have a graphic installation. Is that so? If so, what happens when you just exit xbmc?
gsgleason Wrote:How helpful.

First you would have to be able to log in via putty using your one user account. Does that work? If so, then you should be able to add another user from the shell just fine.

It sounds like you have a graphic installation. Is that so? If so, what happens when you just exit xbmc?

As indeed is your post.

To the op. Use ssh via putty to connect to your box, login with your xbmc user name and use:

Code:

sudo useradd -G admin yourusername
I have created a new user via the terminal. Now when I want to log in I can choose XBMC or Gnome, Gnome sfe mode or Xterm. Only Xterm is working. When starting Gnome it says no directories created for Nautilus etc.
And it stops with an empty desktop.
I need to restart then. XBMC is starting. Log of and try again. I think i need to change the right of the user to admin or....?
Placemaster Wrote:I have created a new user via the terminal. Now when I want to log in I can choose XBMC or Gnome, Gnome sfe mode or Xterm. Only Xterm is working. When starting Gnome it says no directories created for Nautilus etc.
And it stops with an empty desktop.
I need to restart then. XBMC is starting. Log of and try again. I think i need to change the right of the user to admin or....?

The above command would have made the user admin, but I think it should have had a flag into create /home etc. Try:

Code:
sudo useradd -m -G admin yourusername
That did the trick.
Thanks for helping.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cancel automatic log-in XBMC Ubuntu 10.04 LTS0