Advise for new HTPC
Hi all,

I am wanting to build a new HTPC and hoping for a bit of advise on hardware setup.

Requirements are as follows:

Low height pc (SFF size) for fitting under TV.
Room for 3 drives (maybe more) in Raid 1 + OS or Raid 5
Very quiet, am hoping for as little fans as possible
Enough power for HD content 1080p + ability to run virtual machine
Optical audio output
HDMI video output

From the above I have come up with the following:

Intel Core i3 530 / 540
ASUS P7H55-M Pro LGA 1156
Antec Fusion Remote case
6GB / 8GB 1333Mhz Memory
500w Quiet Power supply
3x 1TB SATA II drives

based on the above requirements and draft specification can people help on where I should look at other options and if the spec will meet the requirements. I was hoping to utilize the Intel HD graphics built into the i3, however I am not sure how successful this will be with HD1080p content and use with XBMC ? Would it be better to go with a more powerful CPU or addin a Nvidia 220 or simular? Also would a AMD rig be worth looking at for a AM3 setup?

Huh Help !
I'm not sure what exactly the HDMI port is able to support in terms of audio, and the HD decoding will be done by the CPU so it may be maxed out if you have a virtual server running at the same time

for an ideal system, I'd throw in a GT210 or GT220 card just to make sure and enjoy the awesome HDMI and VDPAU support (I assume you will be running some kind of linux)
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I would use a S/PDIF optical output from the motherboard for the audio

Think that it probably good to get a GT2x0 as you say for the video to take away the load of graphics from the CPU.

Has anyone tried a i3 530/540 with HD 1080p content, what is the utilization when paired with something like a GT220 ? I would like to use some of the spare cpu for a virtual machine.
All will be run on linux.
StephenD Wrote:I would use a S/PDIF optical output from the motherboard for the audio

Think that it probably good to get a GT2x0 as you say for the video to take away the load of graphics from the CPU.

In that case, maybe instead of a GT2x0 card look to a Nvidia 9xxx card (like a 9400). The main difference between the generations is built in HDMI audio that you wont use (and honestly might get in your way).

Quote:Has anyone tried a i3 530/540 with HD 1080p content, what is the utilization when paired with something like a GT220 ? I would like to use some of the spare cpu for a virtual machine.
All will be run on linux.

Any modern Nvidia card will use so little of a Core CPU its not funny. Maybe like 2% at most or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advise for new HTPC0