[LIVE] How-to update live 9.11 to latest stable release
Question 
Hi guys.

I've been scowering these forums for a how-to update my XBMC live 9.11 (camelot) (link) to the latest stable release.

For people with limited linux experience this is pretty hard. I've been reading up on adding repositories, and have tried a few (very old) tutorilas I've found with google - although this has only produced such errors that have led me to do a reinstall using the ISO i linked to earlier.

I've also noticed the thread about Precompiled builds - but to a linux newcomer this is also quite discouraging when I'm having trouble understanding how to use the information in the thread.

As I said, I'm using the 9.11 LIVE (camelot) - on my Asrock Nvidia ION. Is there anyone out there that have a newbie-friendly step by step guide? I have, ofcourse searched these forums - but have been coming up empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Huh

I'm sorry to post what is probably a lot of dumb questions.
gazwest Wrote:Hi guys.

I've been scowering these forums for a how-to update my XBMC live 9.11 (camelot) (link) to the latest stable release.

For people with limited linux experience this is pretty hard. I've been reading up on adding repositories, and have tried a few (very old) tutorilas I've found with google - although this has only produced such errors that have led me to do a reinstall using the ISO i linked to earlier.

I've also noticed the thread about Precompiled builds - but to a linux newcomer this is also quite discouraging when I'm having trouble understanding how to use the information in the thread.

As I said, I'm using the 9.11 LIVE (camelot) - on my Asrock Nvidia ION. Is there anyone out there that have a newbie-friendly step by step guide? I have, ofcourse searched these forums - but have been coming up empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Huh

I'm sorry to post what is probably a lot of dumb questions.

The next stable release, after 9.11, hasn't been released yet.

It should be out in the next few weeks (maybe?), check back then there will be a ppa for it and it will be fairly easy to install
I appreciate your quick response. And thank you for clearing that up for me. It seems I have misunderstood a great deal of all this. Would you recommend I try to update to the latest SVN - or is this best for developers etc?
at the moment there's too much problems with the PPAs so stick with your install

IF you want newer versions, get yourself the XBMCfreak live image, will also result in a complete reinstall but much newer components
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:at the moment there's too much problems with the PPAs so stick with your install

IF you want newer versions, get yourself the XBMCfreak live image, will also result in a complete reinstall but much newer components

I'd second the above the freak install is dead easy and if you put your /home on a seperate partition on install you don't lose your xbmc settings if you reinstall.

That said.... I have just upgraded via the svn ppa and it looks ok so far..... (but I was upgrading from previous svn, not 9.11)
ah excellent, so all packages are available again in the SVN? gonna try this tonight Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:ah excellent, so all packages are available again in the SVN? gonna try this tonight Wink

yep, upgrade would have failed if not, I'm on karmic though - jaunty still looks out of order.

To the OP if you want to try upgrading (at your own risk though!):

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

But beware, it may cause problems...
Nice! Xbmcfreak was exactly what I was looking for. It's excellent! Thank you guys so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How-to update live 9.11 to latest stable release0