[ATV] Help me troubleshoot my USB hub
I have pin87a's linux image co-existing with my ATV OS on the internal disk.

I don't believe it's relevant because it was happening before this, but I recently had to re-image using this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=552...tcount=356) as I somehow managed to bork the linux image.

Booting into linux works beautifully if the usb stick is inserted directly at boot time. I can then plug in my usb hub and use an external usb DVD player. But if the usb stick is plugged into my usb hub at boot time it boots into the ATV OS.

I'd like to fix this because I prefer to switch off my ATV when it's not in use to save power. So my preference is to have the ATV boot into linux when I have the usb hub, usb dvd drive and usb stick inserted at boot time.

Here is the output of dmesg from the ATV OS when it boots with the usb hub and usb stick inserted, I'm wondering if the errors regarding "USB2.0 Hub: family specific matching fails" are a clue? http://pastebin.com/sjiu80cs

thanks for any help
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
frumpy_uk Wrote:I have pin87a's linux image co-existing with my ATV OS on the internal disk.

I don't believe it's relevant because it was happening before this, but I recently had to re-image using this (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=552...tcount=356) as I somehow managed to bork the linux image.

Booting into linux works beautifully if the usb stick is inserted directly at boot time. I can then plug in my usb hub and use an external usb DVD player. But if the usb stick is plugged into my usb hub at boot time it boots into the ATV OS.

I'd like to fix this because I prefer to switch off my ATV when it's not in use to save power. So my preference is to have the ATV boot into linux when I have the usb hub, usb dvd drive and usb stick inserted at boot time.

Here is the output of dmesg from the ATV OS when it boots with the usb hub and usb stick inserted, I'm wondering if the errors regarding "USB2.0 Hub: family specific matching fails" are a clue? http://pastebin.com/sjiu80cs

thanks for any help

Say more about your USB hub, powered, not powered, etc. If OSX can't figure out your USB Hub, then EFI firmware has little chance either.
davilla Wrote:Say more about your USB hub, powered, not powered, etc. If OSX can't figure out your USB Hub, then EFI firmware has little chance either.
Thanks.

It is not powered, is USB 2.0 with 4 ports. Ideally I would like to use 2 of them - 1 for the usb stick containing atvboot pointing to pin's image on the internal drive, and 1 for my external DVD drive.

Interestingly, although I see errors in dmesg from ATV OS, I can still open external drives plugged into it via xbmc in ATV OS (and when booted into linux).

Can I let you have any other information?
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
frumpy_uk Wrote:Thanks.

It is not powered, is USB 2.0 with 4 ports. Ideally I would like to use 2 of them - 1 for the usb stick containing atvboot pointing to pin's image on the internal drive, and 1 for my external DVD drive.

Interestingly, although I see errors in dmesg from ATV OS, I can still open external drives plugged into it via xbmc in ATV OS (and when booted into linux).

Can I let you have any other information?

I'd try a powered one. It could be that the USB flash drive does not get resolved fast enough for EFI firmware to see it. The time period after power on during which EFI firmware looks for a recovery USB device is pretty short, only a few seconds. Using a non-powered hub means that the USB Hub has to come up and get resolved, then any devices that are attached are resolved. It might also be the flash drive, I've seem some flash drives take more than 5 seconds to enumerate before they are seen by the OS.

It does work through a hub, one of my "production" AppleTVs runs this way and is connected to an external USB drive though a powered USB hub with a USB flash drive to bootstrap it.
ok thanks, will report back
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
Does it boot off USB from an on state holding Menu and - keys for 6 seconds?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Help me troubleshoot my USB hub0