Few minor problems
Hi everyone

I´m running XBMC on my AppleTV and everything is pretty smooth and the upgrade is great (before XBMC atv was almost useless regarding movies), but I have a few problems I´d like to solve for the experience to be perfect. This is what I have regarding equipment: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Time Capsule, aTV

These are the issues (in order of importance):

1. Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard on both MacBooks there´s no way for itunes in any of them to find my aTV. It wouldn´t be much of a problem if it wasn´t because I like the original way of aTV handling music and photos.

2. I would like to connect the Time Capsule to the aTV via USB and use it as a hard drive (as well as for wifi backups for my MacBooks)... Is this possible?

3. I can´t find the way to change the skin for XBMC... I have no skin folder to put a skin in (and creating one didn´t do the trick) and I have no idea how to add add-ons... I´ve tried from XBMC but it doesn´t take me to a place full of add-ons in order to pick the one I need, I mean, when trying to add a skin I only see the 2 ones that come by default, but see no way to make the one I want appear in that list

Thanks for the help and time reading this
Pantiko Wrote:Hi everyone

I´m running XBMC on my AppleTV and everything is pretty smooth and the upgrade is great (before XBMC atv was almost useless regarding movies), but I have a few problems I´d like to solve for the experience to be perfect. This is what I have regarding equipment: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Time Capsule, aTV

These are the issues (in order of importance):

1. Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard on both MacBooks there´s no way for itunes in any of them to find my aTV. It wouldn´t be much of a problem if it wasn´t because I like the original way of aTV handling music and photos.

2. I would like to connect the Time Capsule to the aTV via USB and use it as a hard drive (as well as for wifi backups for my MacBooks)... Is this possible?

3. I can´t find the way to change the skin for XBMC... I have no skin folder to put a skin in (and creating one didn´t do the trick) and I have no idea how to add add-ons... I´ve tried from XBMC but it doesn´t take me to a place full of add-ons in order to pick the one I need, I mean, when trying to add a skin I only see the 2 ones that come by default, but see no way to make the one I want appear in that list

Thanks for the help and time reading this

1) ATV os version ? It's joined at the hip to the iTunes version on the host computer. Make sure the two are compatible. Search the Apple tech support forums if you are having problems as this is not an XBMC issue.

2) Not going to happen over USB. USB is host to device. AppleTV has a host side USB. The Time Capsule also has a host side USB. That's why USB has A connectors and B connectors. Host to device. It's not like firewire.

3) older skins are being slowly converted and added into the addon repository. you will just have to wait for your un-named skin to appear.
Thanks for the help Davilla

1. ATV is 3.0.2... SnowLeopard is 10.6.4... Just in case XBMC is 9.11 and SVN is r32773... So do you think maybe updating ATV would fix the problem? (I thought with XBMC installed it was better not to update ATV, i have it set that way)

2. Can it be done via firewire?. I´m almost certain both TC and ATV have firewire.

3. The skin I´m talking about is Aeon.

Again, thank you very much for the help

Edit: Point 1 solved, still curious about the updating issue, is it ok to update ATV with XBMC installed?
Pantiko Wrote:Thanks for the help Davilla

1. ATV is 3.0.2... SnowLeopard is 10.6.4... Just in case XBMC is 9.11 and SVN is r32773... So do you think maybe updating ATV would fix the problem? (I thought with XBMC installed it was better not to update ATV, i have it set that way)

2. Can it be done via firewire?. I´m almost certain both TC and ATV have firewire.

3. The skin I´m talking about is Aeon.

Again, thank you very much for the help

Edit: Point 1 solved, still curious about the updating issue, is it ok to update ATV with XBMC installed?

1) ATV is 3.0.2 is the latest ATV OS version, you have some other issue. Again search the Apple forums for the answer.

2) Guess again, neither TC nor ATV have firewire, only USB host side connectors.

3) If Aeon is not in the addon repository, bug Aeon devs to convert and add it.

4) Anything the AppleTV is allowed to update, you will have to re-patch and re-install XBMC. Don't let it auto update.
Aeon can be checked out of github and coped in to addons folder manually. There is a dharma compatible version available
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Aeon can be checked out of github and coped in to addons folder manually. There is a dharma compatible version available

Thanks Sam.Nazarko

Went here but which exactly is the one I need?:

http://github.com/search?q=aeon&type=Eve...rt_value=1
davilla Wrote:1) ATV is 3.0.2 is the latest ATV OS version, you have some other issue. Again search the Apple forums for the answer.

2) Guess again, neither TC nor ATV have firewire, only USB host side connectors.

3) If Aeon is not in the addon repository, bug Aeon devs to convert and add it.

4) Anything the AppleTV is allowed to update, you will have to re-patch and re-install XBMC. Don't let it auto update.

Thank you Davilla, you are right, they don´t have Firewires, so I guess it´s impossible to connect them through any type of cable?
One more thing

If I have a video file on one hand and a subtitle file for that video on the other, is there some way XBMC can play that video file with the subs?

Thanks
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Subtitle#Subtitles
Pantiko Wrote:Thank you Davilla, you are right, they don´t have Firewires, so I guess it´s impossible to connect them through any type of cable?

Network cable Smile
Thanks again for those answers guys

Davilla, that network cable will allow me to connect TC and aTV just as if it was a USB cable? Will I be able to transfer data? How should I configure it? Do I need a standard network cable or a crossed one?

Thanks
Pantiko Wrote:Thanks again for those answers guys

Davilla, that network cable will allow me to connect TC and aTV just as if it was a USB cable? Will I be able to transfer data? How should I configure it? Do I need a standard network cable or a crossed one?

Thanks

If you are connecting them direct, cross-over. You will also need to either setup both with static IPs or configure one to be a dhcp server. If none of this makes sense, be prepared to spend some quality qoogling time.
One thing I can tell you, it sure doesn’t sound pretty... I’m gonna have to check this one with my little brother ’coz if I have to google this it’s going to take a lot more than some quality time... I even haven’t been able to get that Aeon skin on XBMC yet

Thanks for the help Davilla

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few minor problems0