• 22(current)
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I
ampersand Wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but does the bios have wake on usb?

Eh... anyone else look into this? I cant find the settings, and WoL ain't working now...
This is my custom power button.

I just did my first tests with the Asus board running completly passive in a Jetway JC-110-B case (it comes with two small fans, i removed them)

Normal use (installing some software and stuff, nothing heavy): between 55\65 degrees celcius
Watching 1080P MKV movie for about 45 minutes: between 75\80 degrees celcius

Temps are almost the same for CPU and GPU (very little difference, if the CPU is 70 degrees the GPU is also around this temperature for example). I have used PC Probe II.

It is looking very good, i think the airflow in the Jetway case is perfect because the hot air can escape directly going up (see this picture Image).

I will post more information if i have the time to really use the machine and do some heavy stuff such as watching a whole movie or downloading (with par\extract etc.)
dcrulz Wrote:Has anybody had success getting audio through the HDMI port using any flavor of linux?

I'm starting from scratch, so I'm willing to mess with it for a while, but since I know so little about Linux in general, I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Yes!

After a couple of days of messing with the machine I've finally got audio via HDMI working.

I'm running:
  • Arch Linux
  • Kernel 2.6.35
  • Nvidia BETA drivers 260.19.12-11

The beta drivers are what made it work for me. I was using the non-beta drivers before, I swear it was 190 but looking now it may have been 256. Before HDMI was available as an output but I could never hear anything, with beta drivers the outputs are the same with the benefit of actual sound coming out of the TV.

Just as an observation, the nvidia site doesn't show any High Def audio drivers for linux, but that seems to be all included with the linux drivers anyway - it's just not labeled as separate.

So, in short, yes it should be possible with this board.

Edit - It looks like that version of the driver is no longer the 'beta', but the release version as of the 13th
Hello,

MB: AT5IONT-I
Nvidia driver 260.19.06

to make the sound work over HDMI with Ubuntu, just do the following:

1) Activate/Install the "Additional drivers" from NVIDIA in the Administration menu -> Additional drivers. Reboot

2) Select the right sound output interface:
- in Sound preferences menu -> Hardware: Select "High Definition Audio Controler" (HDMI).
- in Sound preferences menu -> Output: Select "High Definition Audio Controler" (HDMI).

3) run
Code:
alsamixer
Press F6 and select the HD Nvidia card. Unmute all channels from the right to the left by pressing 'M'. Muted=MM
Unmuted=00

4) The most important, add
Code:
options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2
at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.

5) Reboot so when the alsa module is loaded, it will take the new parameters and the sound will work

It worked for me so it should work for you!
Romain Wrote:Hello,
to make the sound work over HDMI with Ubuntu, just do the following:

Thanks a bunch Romain! This was the next thing in my todo-list for my new HTPC box running ubuntu 10.04 but I thought I was screwed as it's my first touch with linux and I'm lost whenever things get more complicated.

So I'll update to 10.10 first and then the ION drivers. What's the best way to get the latest ION drivers installed? Should I DL them from Nvidia and follow the instructions of executing the .run file after killing X or is there some way to do it from package manager or similar? I'm afraid I'll screw my system that I finally managed to get running decently and won't be able to recover.

Another question I have is about Flash playback. It's been terrible (youtube, vimeo etc)! I've googled out that 10.1 should do the trick as it introduces the HW support for ION, but I installed it and I still can't call it 'smooth'.. far from it. Even 360p from Youtube is pretty sluggish and eats the CPU for about 60-70%.

I'm hopeful that the new ION drivers from Nvidia will fix it. What's your experience so far? Can you get a smooth HD flash playback with this board running Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Whatnot,

well in the last Ubuntu version (10.10), Ubuntu will install the latest nvidia drivers automatically, you just have to do the step 1 of my previous post.
Once done, both the graphic and sound drivers will be installed. There s no need to compile the drivers manually.

I just watched a 720p trailer with youtube using XBMC that I just compiled and it was perfect, no lag at all.

My config:

picoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX power supply
2x 2GB DDR3 800 SODIMM for AT5IONT-I Board
OCZ Onyx 32GB 2.5in SATA II Solid State Disk (SSD)
M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure
110W AC Universal Adapter 12V 9A & Euro Plug
2nd Hard Drive/Fan Mounting Bracket for M350
Asus AT5IONT-I Fanless Dual Core 1.8GHz D525 Atom ION2 board

I didn't buy any fans at the beginning but I just ordered two 40x40 fans.
It's not possible use this board without fans. Before using a fan, temperature of the CPU/ION was 80°C.
Now, with a temporary fan on top of the cpu/gpu, temperature dropped significantly...:
CPU FAN Speed: 1997 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +34.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
GPU Temperature: +31.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
Romain Wrote:Hello Whatnot,
I just watched a 720p trailer with youtube using XBMC that I just compiled and it was perfect, no lag at all.

It's really good to hear that smooth Flash playback is achievable, I just got to stay on target and do the 10.10 upgrade. I don't dare do that tonight however as I just got the box running decent with the TV streaming we use and if I screw it up now my dear missus will kill me as her favourite show is on tonight Wink

Romain Wrote:My config:

picoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX power supply
2x 2GB DDR3 800 SODIMM for AT5IONT-I Board
OCZ Onyx 32GB 2.5in SATA II Solid State Disk (SSD)
M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure
110W AC Universal Adapter 12V 9A & Euro Plug
2nd Hard Drive/Fan Mounting Bracket for M350

I didn't buy any fans at the beginning but I just ordered two 40x40 fans.
It's not possible use this board without fans. Before using a fan, temperature of the CPU/ION was 80°C.
Now, with a temporary fan on top of the cpu/gpu, temperature dropped significantly...:
CPU FAN Speed: 1997 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +34.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
GPU Temperature: +31.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)

I've got:

picoPSU-120 12V DC-DC ATX power supply
2x 1GB DDR3 800 Trancend SODIMM
Corsair F40 SSD
HFX Micro M2 Case (Yes, I plan to go fanless one day =)

While I'm waiting to get my new OS (Linux Mint BTW) running smooth I stuck a 80mm or so fan on top of the heatsink. It's running at 1700rpm but my idle heat is is about 59C for CPU and 49C for GPU. I'm running the box on top of AV amp so that prolly heats it up a bit, gotta try without.

I'm blowing the air to the heatsink.. I wonder if it would be better to run it away from it?
Whatnot,

Flash doesn't use hardware acceleration for video in Linux. Flash 10.1 does use hardware acceleration for some OS's, just not Linux and supposedly OSX as well:

From Adobe's site
Quote:In Flash Player 10.1, H.264 hardware acceleration is not supported under either Linux or Mac OS X. Linux currently lacks a developed standard API that supports H.264 hardware video decoding, and Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. The Flash Player team will continue to evaluate adding hardware acceleration to Linux and Mac OS X in future releases.

Flash video would be all CPU from what I understand, but I haven't tested any flash content on this machine.

My CPU temp under heavy load, with 2 SATA hard drives in the case (software RAID) has reached a max of 36C, GPU 45C and both HDDs are 36C. This was playing BlurRay while compiling. I have a 120mm fan blowing on the CPU at 1000rpm. I would imagine that taking the machine off from the top of the AV receiver would lower the temps since it isn't absorbing that heat along with it's own. IMO having the fan blow onto the heatsink is much more preferable than sucking, since the latter won't foce the air to travel through the heatsink fins where blowing it will.
Guys if you don't mind I have 2 questions:

1. When the ASUS AT5IONT-I Deluxe will go out? (I want the remote and the passive psu)
2. I am planning to buy a 3tb hd (to add to the 2tb hd I have now). Unfortunately this m/b has only 2 sata port. Did you guys tried to add a pci sata card? I was thinking to keep the 2 hd on the original sata ports and use the mini pci to add a sata card and connect the dvd reader.
Do you think I can do that? If so, which sata pci card would you suggest me to buy?

Thank you for your time
Regards
Teo
Hello guys,

in case you want to slow down the CPU/Chassis fan speed on the AT5IONT-I to get it silent, don't waste too much time, it's just not possible. (Even if you can monitor your fans using the "sensors" command.)
All fan connectors on the MB are only 3 pins (4 pins are needed to control the fans). The only solution is to use a potentiometer like ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 to control your fans. I have two 40x40 fans in my case and it's bloody noisy for the moment. I'll buy two ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 and store them in the front trunk of M350 case.
I'll let you know when it's done but I'm sure it's going to do the trick perfectly Wink

Whatnot,
The best would be for you to try the heatpipe solution. In fact I wanted to buy the HFX but it was a little expensive and I was not confident in running this board fanless using heatpipes...

In my case, I'm currently blowing the air onto the heatsink but my case has holes everywhere. http://resources.mini-box.com/online/M350/index.html
ilcontegis Wrote:2. I am planning to buy a 3tb hd (to add to the 2tb hd I have now).

Has anyone tried running this with anything larger than 2.2TB of hard drive. There are BIOS limitations on many motherboards that cause anything over 2.2TB to not work correctly and I'd like to know if that's the case with this motherboard. UEFI (the next big thing to replace BIOS) is supposed to fix this but I believe there are ways to get it working with old BIOS too. If it is a limitation on this board, I might consider not getting the Deluxe when it comes out because I'd feel like I'm buying something that's already out of date. If anyone could confirm either way, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Romain Wrote:Hello guys,

in case you want to slow down the CPU/Chassis fan speed on the AT5IONT-I to get it silent, don't waste too much time, it's just not possible. (Even if you can monitor your fans using the "sensors" command.)
All fan connectors on the MB are only 3 pins (4 pins are needed to control the fans). The only solution is to use a potentiometer like ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 to control your fans. I have two 40x40 fans in my case and it's bloody noisy for the moment. I'll buy two ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 and store them in the front trunk of M350 case.
I'll let you know when it's done but I'm sure it's going to do the trick perfectly Wink

Whatnot,
The best would be for you to try the heatpipe solution. In fact I wanted to buy the HFX but it was a little expensive and I was not confident in running this board fanless using heatpipes...

In my case, I'm currently blowing the air onto the heatsink but my case has holes everywhere. http://resources.mini-box.com/online/M350/index.html

I don't get it, why putting a fun on a passive m/b? If they made it passive should mean that it can work without any additional fun......Am I wrong?
ilcontegis Wrote:I don't get it, why putting a fun on a passive m/b? If they made it passive should mean that it can work without any additional fun......Am I wrong?

Because marketing are the people that tell you what your getting and engineering are the people that give you stuff. They generally don't get along too well, and only talk to each other when they really have to.

Also, it's cheaper for them because they can sell you the thing without a fan, charge more, and then tell you it's for your benefit.
nijaju Wrote:Because marketing are the people that tell you what your getting and engineering are the people that give you stuff. They generally don't get along too well, and only talk to each other when they really have to.

Also, it's cheaper for them because they can sell you the thing without a fan, charge more, and then tell you it's for your benefit.
So you are telling me that thi mb is crap and is not really passive?
Wow......I will have to look for something else then Sad
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I2