xbmc windows or linux?
hi all, i have the following system:
nvidia gt220
athlon 64 x2 3800
2gb ram

I am going to be installing xbmc onto the system pretty soon but am debating with myself should i go the linux route or stay with windows 7. I know i can get hardware accelaration with both versions thanks to dsplayer within windows and vdpau within linux, but i am feeling pretty reluctant to wipe the machine and put the linux version on it.

Are there any advantages to either version which i should bear in mind? or how would i get along with keeping win7 installed but running xbmc from a live usb?

any advice would be great. I'm just waiting for my gt220 to arrive before i take the plunge either way.

many thanks in advance
just thought i'd add, this system will be used for non-media purposes as well
how is this device going to be used?
do you want it to act like a stand alone device like your dvd player, cd player, etc.?

XBMC-LIVE is the hot ticket I have it and my HTPC boots right into the XBMC app
my wife doesn't need to get the keyboard out, no opening the app up, she just turns on the htpc and grabs the remote and away she goes.

I currently use my HTPC as my downloading machine and have remote access to it from anywhere I have a web connection , and my phone gets 3G signal.

really cool for adding movies I see when im out and about or Tv.Shows I hear about.

-=Jason=-
it will be used for media and other more standard home pc functions. I've got no problems running linux on it, but i think im going to have to hear a strong case for it if i am going to be deleting all my data from my pc.

Could always dualboot i suppose?
Sounds like you don't want to use linux to me. Personally all of my htpcs are linux based, but if you want to use windows then use it.

Note, official nightly builds support hw acceleration under windows 7 - no need for dsplayer.
here is another windoze vs Linux thread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ux+windows

or you could dual boot XBMC-LIVE and win 7

-=Jason=-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc windows or linux?0