[LIVE]Unable to install On New Build?
Greeetings,

I just built a new Zotac Ion box http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78903

I have tried to load both xbmcfreak-10.08-svn32696-lucid1.iso and xbmc-9.11-live-repack.iso via USB without success. It booted to a menu but was inconsistent on what it did when I tried the various options. (Boot using USB drive was selected in BIOS)

After playing for several hours, I switched out the USB for a DVD-ROM and made a DVD-iso of both versions above.

Using Lucid 10-08 I suddenly got a proper menu (like I saw in my Virtual PC when I tested it). Selecting the option to load to disk (and various others), the installer seemed to start then just stopped with a flashing cursor. Some of the options seemed to fire off some code and then again stop with a flashing cursor.

I don't know where to go from here. I've read a lot of posts trying to find what steps to now take, without any success. I'm a Linux Noob completely, so I really have no clue. I need some help. Much appreciated. Thx.

Edit: I realise there isn't a lot of info here for a help situation. I've looked at all the bios settings and nothing stands out - not that it would mean much. I can get the selection menu from the Live part but all selections seem to end the some way - a blinking cursor. The only part that seems to work is the mem-test Huh

Update: After review in the biso setup for the 50th time and without changes after selecting "Install XBMCLive" I got to a menu that asked for a Language selection. I chose, then was taken to a Country selection. I selected, then the screen went blue with a grey bar across the bottom. I left it running for ages, but it never continued to do anything from there Huh
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Will you do me a favor and try a plain Ubuntu Live ISO?

I'm assuming a blank DVD is as good as a blank CD? That is...the setup isn't expecting just a CD??
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Hmm.. I don't think that could be it. But I don't know. I have never tried.

During the install you should be able to use "CTRL+Alt+F1" for the text console and F1 - F6 I think and one of them shows the console msgs while installing.

I think F1 is the install msgs.. but its been a while since I used it.
skyvia Wrote:Since you got through the hard drive partitioning part of setup, you don't need any drivers... it should be installing just fine.

I never reached this part of the install??
russg Wrote:During the install you should be able to use "CTRL+Alt+F1" for the text console and F1 - F6 I think and one of them shows the console msgs while installing.

I think F1 is the install msgs.. but its been a while since I used it.

These buttons don't do anything during the install!
Right. I seemed to get a little further with using a CD, but NOT much.

I cannot seem to load a full ubuntu version either.

I went and got a new USB drive, but still no luck. Using it with the "Universal USB-Installer" (as an alternative to Unetbootin) I though I was going to succeed - but it reached a point the thing just stopped.

I tried a different brand of CD's burned at the lowest rate - still no go!

I have enable "Video Resume from S3" in the bios - that seemed to make things better, although still no go.

I used a "Failsafe Defaults" in the bios - No go!

I'm stumped? StareEek

Could it be some Bios setting? Some H/W conflict?

One error message that I have seen is "error_code+0x73/0x80". Googling brought up a lot of questions, but NO answers. Some appeared to hint at it being a video problem? The video is onboard, so what do I do? COuld it be the CRT monitor I have it connected to?

Thx to all those who have offered suggestions.

@PHG - how come your system installed as it should when our set-ups are almost identical??

Oh...and guess what! I stuck in a Windows CD - and it worked like it should do and loaded up until the disc partitioning part. Not a single issue. Oo
Quote:I'm assuming a blank DVD is as good as a blank CD? That is...the setup isn't expecting just a CD??
Quote:Hmm.. I don't think that could be it. But I don't know. I have never tried.

I guess this info is a bit late...but for future ref I got into trouble when using a DVD once, the installation started but the packages could not be loaded. I only tried once though..so not 100% sure.
http://www.inquisitor.ru/download.html

Run some hardware diagnostics. May be a bad memory module.
russg Wrote:http://www.inquisitor.ru/download.html

Run some hardware diagnostics. May be a bad memory module.

I grovel at your feet oh wise one Laugh. You were correct. Appears the issue was a corrupted memory module. Funny thing is, I ran the memory test early on, but I never left it running long enough to discover the corruption. I've taken out the offending dimm and now everything is loaded - yippee!! I'm almost dancing around the room Big Grin

I'll have to get a replacement dimm as currently I'm only running in single channel mode. It still booted quick though.

I'm a happy camper! Thx for the comments all Nod

Now time for some countless hours in setup. And my remote worked straight away Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE]Unable to install On New Build?0