[ATV] Adding/accessing files on internal HD manually
A quick hopefully simple question for ATV. Where is the easiest/best location for .m4v files to be put manually on a patched ATV? Any way of getting the files into My Movies on the ATV - without using iTunes? Would they play through the regular UI if I did get them in there - or would I still have to use another player (XBMC or NitoTV?)

I am already streaming Video_TS over WLAN through XBMC off of a remote 2TB drive. It is AWESOME! But space is beginning to become a big consideration so I'm going to shrink my library to more compact m4v-H264 files on another drive and archive the Video_TS folders.

I'm thinking either the root directory - or Frontrow/Movies - if I use Frontrow/Movies - (I tried this directory and have even used NitoTV to access them, but looking for an even easier access point).
igirl Wrote:A quick hopefully simple question for ATV. Where is the easiest/best location for .m4v files to be put manually on a patched ATV? Any way of getting the files into My Movies on the ATV - without using iTunes? Would they play through the regular UI if I did get them in there - or would I still have to use another player (XBMC or NitoTV?)

I am already streaming Video_TS over WLAN through XBMC off of a remote 2TB drive. It is AWESOME! But space is beginning to become a big consideration so I'm going to shrink my library to more compact m4v-H264 files on another drive and archive the Video_TS folders.

I'm thinking either the root directory - or Frontrow/Movies - if I use Frontrow/Movies - (I tried this directory and have even used NitoTV to access them, but looking for an even easier access point).

Sooner or later you will fill the internal disk with video content, so I would not recommend storing video content locally. If you do store locally, Frontrow/Movies is the best place. Root directory ( "/" ) is actually on the OSBoot partition and that has limited space.
Thanks much for this - certainly the internal HD space is a limitation, but handy for an all in one playing scenario (portability) using XBMC. An extra USB drive plugged into the back of the ATV seems to be the best alternative to internal, for fast and easy local access - where no WLAN is needed. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] Adding/accessing files on internal HD manually0