Linux + XBMC + CrystalHD on Apple TV working fine?
Question 
Hey

I tried to install the above combo some time ago when the Broadcom Crystal HD was recently introduced.
But because there were too many problems and I hadn't the time to work on it at that time I stopped this little project ;-)

Now I would be interested in trying again....how did things evolve in the meantime? Is it possible to run 1080P files especially m2ts and mkv files on an AppleTV flawlessly? Is the system stable or are there still too many bugs? Could I just follow the explanations in the wiki to set it up?

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate the work that is done here!
works for me.
Works for me too. It's darn stable and consistent now too. Just plays whatever I click on.
dan1son Wrote:Works for me too. It's darn stable and consistent now too. Just plays whatever I click on.

Does the remote work?

philip
the apple remote? - Yes.

also you can use Harmony after some fiddling around

BTW. the easiest way to get all the answers is to try it yourself. Download the Sam Nazarko's or pin87a's image, load it onto 4gb usb stick and off you go!
Remote works fine... I'm even using atvclient which gives harmony remotes using the "Plex" setup to use all of the keys and makes the led work as expected.

Works great. It's a bit "slower" since the IR codes for apples "linked" remotes are long. Not a big deal, you just end up scrolling by holding more often than not Smile

If you don't want to jump straight in and attempt to install ubuntu yourself, just plop one of the images on a drive or install it on the internal drive as recommended by docentore. I'm more of a do it myself kind of guy... but it makes more sense to let someone else do it, it's a bit time consuming.
dan1son Wrote:Remote works fine... I'm even using atvclient which gives harmony remotes using the "Plex" setup to use all of the keys and makes the led work as expected.

Works great. It's a bit "slower" since the IR codes for apples "linked" remotes are long. Not a big deal, you just end up scrolling by holding more often than not Smile

i'm using pin87's image and try to get my harmony also to work without success Sad
i use the plex player setting in the logitech remote software, but the keys does not work as they should... i also downloaded the keymap.xml and put it in the .XBMC/userdata/ folder (and also in XBMC/userdata/keymaps)...
could you explain me what i'm doing wrong?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63513

That's the thread talking about the atv event client. You'll need to run that. The keymaps no longer take effect since it's using the eventserver on xbmc for commands. I figured the USB images for ATV included this? Is your front light a solid white when on? or is it blinking?
dan1son Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63513

That's the thread talking about the atv event client. You'll need to run that. The keymaps no longer take effect since it's using the eventserver on xbmc for commands. I figured the USB images for ATV included this? Is your front light a solid white when on? or is it blinking?

yes, solid white light is on when atv boots up with pin87s image.
thanks for the link, i'll try this installion. I hope i'm able to do this as linux noob..

ps. could it be that the atvclient is already implement in pin87s image?
I'm able to use the standard buttons (play,pause,stop,etc) with my harmony. what i want is to programm the buttons like
Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660
have a look at dan1son link once again, pay attention to post 64 and after. zeldi made some changes to original atvclient so it can be used with harmony as plex remote.
Star 
docentore Wrote:have a look at dan1son link once again, pay attention to post 64 and after. zeldi made some changes to original atvclient so it can be used with harmony as plex remote.

-Download atvclient from github
-replace atvclient.cpp with the one from my link
-compile and install atvclient as described in original atvclient README
-on harmony, add new computer->media center pc->Plex (manufactrer)->Plex player (device)
-and it should work
-keymap.xml is the default keymap supplied with recent builds

sounds not so easy for me...

-Download atvclient from github
how to download? - i'm only able to download the code as txt file...
-replace atvclient.cpp with the one from my link
means i could rename the txt to cpp and replace the old one? where to find the old atvclient.cpp?
-compile and install atvclient as described in original atvclient README
Huh??

sorry that i'm not so familiar with linux...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux + XBMC + CrystalHD on Apple TV working fine?0