DXVA is great!
Just want to say that DXVA is working great!

My HTPC has some lowly specs:

AMD X2 3800+
ATI Radeon HD 5450
1 GB Ram

I first put XBMC on a fresh install of Windows XP - HD video would not play well at all, it stuttered very noticably and frequently. Ati Catalyst does not allow me to enable pulldown detection via the GPU in XP.

Then I fresh installed Windows 7 on the same machine, enabled DXVA, pulldown detection is checked in catalyst, and the HD videos run perfectly!
Nod
Welcome to the 21st century!

Next step: Get a SSD!

poofyhairguy Wrote:Welcome to the 21st century!

Next step: Get a SSD!

Already got one Wink
what is the real benefit on an SSD on XBMC? I store nothing on mine but the OS, btw. I can imagine the interface would see little or no change. Is it just improved loading of fanart?
alexpigment Wrote:what is the real benefit on an SSD on XBMC? I store nothing on mine but the OS, btw. I can imagine the interface would see little or no change. Is it just improved loading of fanart?

1. Faster loading of fan art
2. Faster menus
3. Faster booting
4. Less heat

alexpigment Wrote:what is the real benefit on an SSD on XBMC? I store nothing on mine but the OS, btw. I can imagine the interface would see little or no change. Is it just improved loading of fanart?

TBH, I haven't noticed too much of a difference in XBMC, as it pretty much loads right away on my standard sata drive, and menus are quite smooth. The SSD does shave off a few seconds here and there though.
XBMC has tons of random reads. SSDs (with their MUCH faster seek times) help this a lot.

OK, that's what I wanted to confirm. My Revo1600+9.11 is working like a 1080p-eating champ at the moment, so an SSD would be solving a problem I don't really have. I'm sure this would be much different if I used a fanart-heavy skin, but I'm on MediaStream and I usually do single-thumb modes. For that matter, most of my time is spent in a folder of music videos in list mode Smile
poofyhairguy Wrote:XBMC has tons of random reads. SSDs (with their MUCH faster seek times) help this a lot.

Do you happen to use a swap partition on your SSD with XBMC Linux? Any tips for keeping an SSD healthy in that configuration?
teaguecl Wrote:Do you happen to use a swap partition on your SSD with XBMC Linux? Any tips for keeping an SSD healthy in that configuration?

Yes and modern Linux has Trim which does the tidying needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXVA is great!0