[REQUEST HELP] Installation of a multiroom XBMC System
Hi Guys,

I'm new on the forum but really interested in XBMC system.

I want to setup a multiroom installation

- 1 Flat screen in the lounge.
- 1 Flat screen in a bedroom.
- 1 Flat screen in another bedroom.

My idea is....

Install a NAS with all movies, music, pics, tv shows....
Install a small pc in all places...(need help to select pcs)

I have another question, is it possible to share databases between all pcs ? (one change in a database is done for all....)

Regards,
Sebastien.
You have the right idea about a NAS and a bunch of small PCs. My advice would be to wait a few days 'till Dharma comes out (the new version of XBMC, which is due any time now), as that has support for shared databases. For plenty of advice about which hardware to use, see the hardware section of this forum (near the bottom, in the "off-topic" section). If you have any more queries please post back, and I'll help if I can. :-)
I agree with lloydsmart, except that I'd say go ahead and use the current beta builds of Dharma from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/ as they're pretty stable.

You can put the shared database on a MySQL server. The Wiki article for this hasn't been written yet as it's a new feature, so search the forum for "mysql" to find the instructions.

JR
Nighly builds are fine for the moment and database support in them is rock solid.

I have a similar setup, I have a NAS with about 17Tb of storage. It runs the mysql database, serves up the nfs share i use for shared profiles and serves up all of my content using cifs.

Hardware wise, your best options are anything based on the ion chipset. You can pick up single core acer revo's for less than £150/$200 and these will happilly decode 1080p content. Install linux / xbmclive / openelec.tv's linux image and you are good to go.
When using nightlies how hard is it to install new versions (like when stable is released) without loosing settings and librarys?
fallenae Wrote:When using nightlies how hard is it to install new versions (like when stable is released) without loosing settings and librarys?

Utterly trivial :-)

All your XBMC settings are stored in your profile. When you uninstall XBMC it asks if you want to uninstall the profile as well (with the default being "NO"). Assuming you accept the default and don't uninstall the profile then when you install the release Dharma it will keep all the settings.

The exception to this is if you're using portable mode. If you don't know what portable mode is then you aren't using it!

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST HELP] Installation of a multiroom XBMC System0