• 10(current)
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail
God, someone please help me. I've got about 20 hours into this, and the remote is about to merge with my wall. I have a Tivo Slide Pro Remote with the RF Dongle. It's plugged into my media center, which is running Windows and XBMC Gotham. If I pair the remote with the dongle, the keyboard works great, including the D pad in the middle of the keyboard, but none of the top directional buttons work. I tried event ghost and showkey and they're not registering any button presses, however the light on the dongle blinks when I press one of the top buttons. When I remove the dongle, I can use a Flirc USB dongle to operate the remote in IR mode, which makes all the top buttons work, but none of the keyboard keys work, obviously, they are not IR. How do I get the computer to recognize the button presses when it's paired and in RF mode? I'm so lost.
There is a plugin you need to download off of eventgjost's forum and install. It works great once your program all the buttons yo send commands to XBMC. Trust me I'm using it

Edit: here's the link http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...fa4e787b12
Has anybody gotten the Tivo, LiveTv, and Thumbs Up and Thumbs down buttons to work in linux?

For each button, I get the same event:

Event: time 1420315635.467859, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 40 (ABS_MISC), value 0
Event: time 1420315635.467859, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1420315635.563630, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 40 (ABS_MISC), value 1

I also get the same event, if I slide open the remote. A couple pages back in this thread, with respect to the older remote, I saw some discussion of a patch. Did that ever make it in to the kernel? Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,

ntlord
(2015-01-03, 22:25)ntlord Wrote: Has anybody gotten the Tivo, LiveTv, and Thumbs Up and Thumbs down buttons to work in linux?

For each button, I get the same event:

Same problem here. I asked on askubuntu but got no replies.
Ok. I guess that answers it. When I was messing with this yesterday, I noticed that the output appears to be correct when you read directly from the HID device. In other words, each button has a different output in the raw HID device. That is a good sign. For what I need, that may be enough, unless I'm feeling ambitious enough to fix the kernel driver. Interestingly, when you look at the source of the kernel driver, it does have specific code dealing with those 4 buttons. The hex codes in the driver code seemed to match what I was seeing in the raw HID output.
(2015-01-04, 21:23)ntlord Wrote: Ok. I guess that answers it. When I was messing with this yesterday, I noticed that the output appears to be correct when you read directly from the HID device. In other words, each button has a different output in the raw HID device. That is a good sign. For what I need, that may be enough, unless I'm feeling ambitious enough to fix the kernel driver. Interestingly, when you look at the source of the kernel driver, it does have specific code dealing with those 4 buttons. The hex codes in the driver code seemed to match what I was seeing in the raw HID output.

Forgive my Linux device driver ignorance...what do you mean by "read directly from the HID device"? You mean not use evdev? How exactly? Maybe I could use that solution too.

Also can you point me to the kernel driver source you're referring to?
If you do a cat of /dev/usb/hiddev[X] (where [X] is the appropriate device) and convert the output to hex, you can see the commands the remote is sending.

Source can be found here: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/dri...hid-tivo.c
(2015-01-05, 01:46)ntlord Wrote: If you do a cat of /dev/usb/hiddev[X] (where [X] is the appropriate device) and convert the output to hex, you can see the commands the remote is sending.

Thanks. Can you please clarify which remote you have: the older Bluetooth TiVo Slide, or the newer TiVo Slide Pro?

Mine is the latter. Are you sure the driver you linked is also used for the newer one? (If it's not, maybe that's the only problem.)
(2015-01-05, 02:14)ScottJ Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 01:46)ntlord Wrote: If you do a cat of /dev/usb/hiddev[X] (where [X] is the appropriate device) and convert the output to hex, you can see the commands the remote is sending.

Thanks. Can you please clarify which remote you have: the older Bluetooth TiVo Slide, or the newer TiVo Slide Pro?

Mine is the latter. Are you sure the driver you linked is also used for the newer one? (If it's not, maybe that's the only problem.)

You raise a good point. I have the new "Slide Pro." It seems to be detected as HID generic. Not hid-tivo. That would seem to be the issue.
(2015-01-05, 02:23)ntlord Wrote: You raise a good point. I have the new "Slide Pro." It seems to be detected as HID generic. Not hid-tivo. That would seem to be the issue.

Yep. The device IDs listed in that file cover USB IDs 150a:1200 and 150a:1201; mine is 150a:1203 (according to `lsusb`). Simple fix, but first I will have to figure out how to recompile kernel drivers.
Ok. I got it mostly working. I compiled the driver as a module an ALL BUTTONS WORK. And manually bound it to the tivo remote using /sys bind commands as described here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

The problem is that it won't autoload, even after modifying hid-ids.h to use 1203, eg:

Code:
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_TIVO_SLIDE        0x1203
(2015-01-05, 03:57)ntlord Wrote: Ok. I got it mostly working. I compiled the driver as a module an ALL BUTTONS WORK. And manually bound it to the tivo remote using /sys bind commands as described here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

Can you tell me what you ran? I don't have /sys/bus/usb/drivers/*tivo*, even after `modprobe hid_tivo`.

I do have /sys/bus/hid/drivers/tivo_slide, so I tried the following:

echo 3 150a 1203 0 > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/tivo_slide/new_id

But no luck, I am still getting the wrong driver.
First, you need to figure our your devices hid address
Code:
dmesg | grep TiVo

You should get a bunch of messages like this:

Code:
[ 1565.387897] hid-generic 0003:150A:1203.000B: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Device [TiVo, Inc. S5 Remote Control] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2/input2
[ 1838.228891] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: TiVo, Inc.

Now you may get multiple tivo ones, so you need to figure out the correct one. I did that by running "cat /dev/hidrawX," where [X] is what it says in each message, and I pressed some buttons. And if cat showed something, I knew I had the right device.

After you figured out the correct device, extract the "0003:150A:1203.000B," or whatever it is for you.

Then, do the following. You need to make sure you are root, no sudo

Code:
sudo su
echo -n "0003:150A:1203.000B" > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/hid-generic/unbind
echo -n "0003:150A:1203.000B"  > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/tivo-slide/bind
Where "0003:150A:1203.000B" is your device from dmesg.

That's all I did.
FYI. I compiled the edited driver (i.e. I changed hid-ids.h) into the kernel (instead of a module), and now everything is working great!
(2015-01-05, 05:27)ntlord Wrote:
Code:
sudo su
echo -n "0003:150A:1203.000B" > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/hid-generic/unbind
echo -n "0003:150A:1203.000B"  > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/tivo-slide/bind
Where "0003:150A:1203.000B" is your device from dmesg.

That's all I did.

Awesome, got that working. We ought to be able to come up with a udev rule to make this work at boot. Unfortunately that ID seems to change depending on the order that devices are plugged/unplugged, which makes things more complicated.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail3