• 5(current)
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail
(2012-05-08, 08:23)pvautrin Wrote: Edit: there appears to be support for TiVo, Live TV, thumbs down and up buttons as well since february [2], so perhaps no patch is needed anymore?

[2] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/gi...634e6823e3

It looks like the change made it into kernel 3.4, so we'll have to wait a little bit - but not long! I can't wait to get the missing keys working - it might even motivate me to start working on a Tivo-like skin.

will this work on an atv2 and will the keyboard work?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
(2012-03-26, 05:41)teaguecl Wrote: Eden xbmcbuntu update:
I spent all day upgrading to 11.0 Eden, and thought I would share my experience. The easiest way to get this remote working is to:
1. remove bluetooth
- sudo apt-get remove bluez
- sudo apt-get remove blueman
- sudo rm /etc/init.d/bluetooth (this shouldn't be necessary, bluez uninstall is supposed to remove this)
2. disable bluetooth modules
- put these lines into a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist* file:
blacklist btusb
blacklist bluetooth

i've got a fresh install of 11.0 eden at the moment, getting an error when trying to remove bluez..

it basically just says package not found?

i can search in software manager and see that it is installed and running..

im very new to linux and have no idea what to do from here??

anybody got some advice?

does it need to be able to reach the update server?

if i try do sudo apt-get update i time out trying to reach au.ubuntu servers??
rflores2323: No idea if it works on ATV, as far as I know nobody has tried it. It would be great if we could get someone to run that test.

McRutch: sounds like you're having Linux issues due to being new to it. Don't worry, it happens to everyone. The computer does not need to reach the update server in order to uninstall a package. The command "sudo apt-get remove bluez" should work. If you are using a GUI and a package manager, you can easily uninstall it from there as well.

Two more things:
1. Linux kernel 2.4 is out, and it includes support for this remote - though I haven't tested it myself yet. Would anyone be interested in helping me package up a recent version of xbmcbuntu and upgrade it's kernel?

2. I did start work on a Tivo-like skin for XBMC. It uses Right/Left (Tivo style) instead of Select/Back (XBMC style). It's very basic, and pretty much non-functional right now. It looks like it's going to be a bigger job than I have time for - If I can get some help in getting it fleshed out I will continue with it, otherwise it will probably just be abandoned. You can try it out, but really just the main screen is there. You can't even get into the settings to change your skin back to something working - so in order to get out of it you need to modify guisettings.xml.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/477050/xero-05222012.zip
After a lot of disappointement with the Nyxboard Hybrid Remote, i'm considering to buy this remote but i have a few questions :

- Is there any lag ?
- What's the maximum range ?
- On TiVo.com they say the remote can learn power, volume, and mute from other remotes... But can I also control my cable with it ? Will i be able to switch TV channels and use the numpad to change channels ? Is there a programmable "guide" button that I can use to see the scheduled programs from my cable ?
(2012-06-30, 23:24)anarchoi Wrote: After a lot of disappointement with the Nyxboard Hybrid Remote, i'm considering to buy this remote but i have a few questions :

- Is there any lag ?
Nope, no lag.

(2012-06-30, 23:24)anarchoi Wrote: - What's the maximum range ?
Range isn't that great to be honest. I only get about 10 to 12 feet - though my HTPC is hidden away and not line-of-sight.

(2012-06-30, 23:24)anarchoi Wrote: - On TiVo.com they say the remote can learn power, volume, and mute from other remotes... But can I also control my cable with it ?
I don't know what you mean by "control cable". Some of the buttons (Power, volume, channel up/down, input) can be programmed to use any IR code you want. The remaining buttons behave like a USB keyboard.

(2012-06-30, 23:24)anarchoi Wrote: Will i be able to switch TV channels and use the numpad to change channels ?
You can program channel up/down to send the correct IR code to your cable box. You cannot reprogram the number keys - they send keypress events via bluetooth to the dongle and therefore do not use the IR at all.

(2012-06-30, 23:24)anarchoi Wrote: Is there a programmable "guide" button that I can use to see the scheduled programs from my cable ?
There is a guide button, but I am pretty sure it is not on the list of programmable buttons.

Unfortunately it sounds like the Slide isn't quite the perfect remote for you. You might have to look at something more configurable like the ever popular (and also ever hated) Harmony series.

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and upgraded to kernel 3.4 with no luck getting the remote to work. It doesn't look like it is detected. Can anyone help me out?

Code:
$uname -r
3.4.0-030400-generic

$ls -l /dev/input/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul  6 22:16 usb-0a5c_4503-event-mouse -> ../event2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul  6 22:16 usb-0a5c_4503-mouse -> ../mouse0

$lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 150a:1201  
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. Mouse (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a5c:2190 Broadcom Corp.

Thank you
(2012-07-07, 04:30)pbjr Wrote: Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and upgraded to kernel 3.4 with no luck getting the remote to work. It doesn't look like it is detected. Can anyone help me out?

Code:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 150a:1201

It's definitely the 150a:1201 device. Try running "sudo evtest" and selecting that device. That should show you whether it's working or not.

(2012-07-07, 17:57)teaguecl Wrote: It's definitely the 150a:1201 device. Try running "sudo evtest" and selecting that device. That should show you whether it's working or not.

Yeah, I figured that is the TiVo. But for some reason it was not mapping as a input device. I eventually gave up and went back to 3.2 kernel and it's working know minus the remaining buttons that were added to 3.4. I can live like this. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I think they will add the 3.4 kernel at a later time. I'll revisit 3.4 again.

teaguecl, thank you and to the others who contributed to this thread. Our family is very happy with the remote. Smile

Thanks again,
pbjr
(2012-07-08, 13:11)pbjr Wrote:
(2012-07-07, 17:57)teaguecl Wrote: It's definitely the 150a:1201 device. Try running "sudo evtest" and selecting that device. That should show you whether it's working or not.

Yeah, I figured that is the TiVo. But for some reason it was not mapping as a input device. I eventually gave up and went back to 3.2 kernel and it's working know minus the remaining buttons that were added to 3.4. I can live like this. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I think they will add the 3.4 kernel at a later time. I'll revisit 3.4 again.

teaguecl, thank you and to the others who contributed to this thread. Our family is very happy with the remote. Smile

Thanks again,
pbjr
pbjr, as far as I know you're the first one to try out the 3.4 kernel - thanks for doing that! It's supposed to "just work", and I really wasn't expecting any difficulty with it - so it's a little disappointing to hear that you had trouble. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 also (what a pile a junk it is compared to previous versions), so I'm not going to get 3.4 for a while.
I have the remote working on ubuntu 12, kernel 3.2.0-24, x86 architecture.

Now I'm trying to get the remote to work on a raspberry pi running debian.

I disabled bluetooth and I have the remote paired, if I run evtest I see it, but only the media keys are working (play, pause...), the numpad (on the upper part) and the entire keyboard inside isn't working, when I press one of those key, I get:

usb 1-1.3.1: input irq status -115 received

in dmesg

on my raspberry, the kernel is:

Linux media 3.2.23-rpi1+ #3 Sun Jul 15 16:46:51 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Any idea?
I have tried following the wiki instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide
but i get stuck on the step:
"/etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules" <--- file doesn't exist. my files in the folder are named:

"70-persistent-cd.rules"
"70-persistent-net.rules"

a while back i purchased a 'FLIRC' usb device so also in that directory is:
"51-flirc.rules"

I have installed the FLIRC along with its firmware. I used it to program the remote but left the remote useless. only the u,d,l,r play pause basic media buttons worked. i purchased this remote for the use of its keyboard.

I'm running XBMC 11.0 eden on ubuntu 12.04 linux kernel 3.2.0-29-generic.

Edit: I just tried to go through the instructions on the wiki again and while in terminal i received the following error...

anthony@XBMC-HTPC:~$ sudo echo -e "blacklist btusb\nblacklist bluetooth" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-tivoslide.conf
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-tivoslide.conf: Permission denied

I'm getting stuck on all these permissions. I am the only user on this machine.
(2012-08-11, 01:55)itstonye Wrote: I have tried following the wiki instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide
but i get stuck on the step:
"/etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules" <--- file doesn't exist. my files in the folder are named:

"70-persistent-cd.rules"
"70-persistent-net.rules"

You should create the 95-keymap.rules file if it doesn't exist

(2012-08-11, 01:55)itstonye Wrote: Edit: I just tried to go through the instructions on the wiki again and while in terminal i received the following error...

anthony@XBMC-HTPC:~$ sudo echo -e "blacklist btusb\nblacklist bluetooth" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-tivoslide.conf
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-tivoslide.conf: Permission denied

I'm getting stuck on all these permissions. I am the only user on this machine.
The instructions on the wiki had a mistake, which I have corrected - thanks for pointing it out! You should use this command to create the conf file:
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo 'blacklist btusb\nblacklist bluetooth' > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-tivoslide.conf"
Thank you teaguecl, the new sudo sh -c command worked.

i created "95-keymap.rules" in /etc/udev/rules.d/ as suggested.

I finished the how to guide on the wiki page, but still nothing works on my remote, not 1 button. I did some snooping around my computer and noticed in the directory:

/lib/udev/rules.d/

are a whole bunch of *.rules files, one of them being "95-keymap.rules"

I was wondering if on the wiki page that directory is also a typo. On the wiki it says "/etc/udev/rules" should it read "/lib/udev/rules" ?

If it is supposed to be "/lib/udev/rules/95-keymap.rules" where do i add the line:

SUBSYSTEM=="input", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="150a", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="1201", RUN+="/lib/udev/keymap $name /lib/udev/keymaps/tivo-slide"

95-keymap.rules seems to be broken up into sections.

the first portion of my existing 95-keymap.rules looks like :

Code:
# Set model specific hotkey keycodes.
#
# Key map overrides can be specified by either giving scancode/keyname pairs
# directly as keymap arguments (if there are just one or two to change), or as
# a file name (in /lib/udev/keymaps), which has to contain scancode/keyname
# pairs.

ACTION=="remove", GOTO="keyboard_end"
KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="keyboard_end"
ENV{ID_INPUT_KEY}=="", GOTO="keyboard_end"
SUBSYSTEMS=="bluetooth", GOTO="keyboard_end"

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", IMPORT{builtin}="usb_id"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", GOTO="keyboard_usbcheck"
GOTO="keyboard_modulecheck"

#
# The following are external USB keyboards
#

LABEL="keyboard_usbcheck"

ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Genius", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="0708", ENV{ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM}=="01", RUN+="keymap $name genius-slimstar-320"
ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Logitech*", ATTRS{name}=="Logitech USB Multimedia Keyboard", RUN+="keymap $name logitech-wave"
ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Logitech*", ATTRS{name}=="Logitech USB Receiver", RUN+="keymap $name logitech-wave-cordless"
# Logitech Cordless Wave Pro looks slightly weird; some hotkeys are coming through the mouse interface
ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="046d", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="c52[9b]", ATTRS{name}=="Logitech USB Receiver", RUN+="keymap $name logitech-wave-pro-cordless"

ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Lite-On_Technology_Corp*", ATTRS{name}=="Lite-On Technology Corp. ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint", RUN+="keymap $name lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-trackpoint"
ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="04b3", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="301[89]", RUN+="keymap $name ibm-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-trackpoint"

ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Microsoft", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="00db", RUN+="keymap $name 0xc022d zoomin 0xc022e zoomout"

GOTO="keyboard_end"

#
# The following are exposed as separate input devices with low key codes, thus
# we need to check their input device product name
#

LABEL="keyboard_modulecheck"

(2012-08-14, 05:55)itstonye Wrote: I was wondering if on the wiki page that directory is also a typo. On the wiki it says "/etc/udev/rules" should it read "/lib/udev/rules" ?
It's not a typo, I definitely put mine in /etc/udev/rules.d/. However, looking at the official udev documentation it seems that /etc/udev/rules.d/ will override /lib/udev/rules.d/. (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/ke.../udev.html)
Looking at my system, I must have created /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules because the only line in it is for the Tivo Slide. If you read /etc/udev/rules.d/README, you will see that what I did is not actually the "correct" way to do this. What I've done is override the /lib/udev/rules/95-keymap.rules file with the one in /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules! This is not right, since all the content in the /lib/udev/ version is not being used.
I think that the correct way to do this is to create a new file called /etc/udev/rules.d/tivo-slide.rules, and to place the single line from the wiki in there. Don't modify the 95-keymap.rules at all.
If that doesn't work you can try the following options (in order of what I think is most "correct"):
1. Place the single line from wiki in a new file called /etc/udev/rules.d/96-keymap.rules
2. Copy /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules into /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules, then insert the single line from the wiki. I would place it in the "keyboard_usbcheck" area.
3. Do what I did, and create a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules and place the line from the wiki in there
4. Just modify /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules directly. Place the new line in the "keyboard_usbcheck" area.

Please let me know how it works out, so we can fix the instructions on the wiki.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail3