Newbie hardware check
My first post. Just a quick hardware check. Please let me know if this stuff is too underpowered to play HD at 1088p. I intend to install XBMC on a flash drive and boot from it.

I already have this Foxconn G41S-K LGA 775 Intel G41 motherboard and this Intel Dual core E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz cpu.
I'm planning on a single 2GB ram stick because this mobo only has a single slot. It's going in a sff raidmax case.

I'll have to buy a video card with HDMI so I'm looking at something like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814131339

Thanks.
No get a nvidia card. ATI drivers are awful under linux, upside to nvidia card is you can use hardware acceleration too.
Thumbs Up 
prae5 Wrote:No get a nvidia card. ATI drivers are awful under linux, upside to nvidia card is you can use hardware acceleration too.

+1

ATI cards nowadays have decent OSS drivers but they won't provide H/W acceleration which is what you want for XBMC.

Nvidia provides very good binary drivers that do.
HTPC : Acer Revo R3600 / 2GB PC6400 / 2x500GB Samsung 2.5" SATAII / Roland UA1-EX
Software : Arch linux / LUKS / Openbox / xbmc-svn

you guys need to update yourself.

we support va-api on linux now. va-api has a xvba backend for amd cards. i.e. you have hw acceled decode.
but over the past weeks we had some feedback here from intel and ati users that complain about various problems with the va-api support. so still if xbmc has va-api support it is more often than not the binary drivers from intel and ati that break the fun completely for a lot of guys.
until this changes, we still recommend nvidia and VDPAU over everything else :p remember we are doing the support here and like to make our lifes a little easier
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie hardware check0