Stuttering playback on Mac Mini, Plex plays smooth
Question 
Hi,
we recently bought an older mac mini as a living room mediacenter computer.
The problem is, that while Plex has no problems with the Full HD content we play with it, XBMC starts stuttering and dropping frames, making it unwatchable.

I searched the forums before about that kind of issue, but I only found statements, that the playback should be the same in both programs. As far as I understand Plex uses the same player as xbmc so I dont understand why it should run in one program but not the other.

Running latest version on plex and an around 1 week old nightly build of xbmc.

I hope anyone has any ideas what might cause this,

D0nR0sa

Edit: Sorry was not reading properly, the other post was giving some reasoning for the smoother playback on plex, but anyways is there any chance of those improvements on plex being forked back to xbmc??
XBMC's player uses newer versions of ffmpeg which have improved quality - we no longer have the quality-degrading cabac patch.

You may be able to fiddle with the skiploopfilter perhaps to get faster decoding at the penalty of a loss in quality.

A debug log may point to reasons why things would be decoding slowly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the answer and sorry it took so long for me to respond.

I tried setting skiploopfilter to 48 and it is already a great improvement, but for some reason its still stuttering at some spots.
The normal cpu info that is shown from the debug setting being turned on doesnt seem to work because it says 0 constantly, but the xbmccpu value is normally between 80 and 100. If it gets very crowded on the screen (Lots of different colors, camera moving etc.) it goes up to 120-130 and starts stuttering.

Here is a debug log (Hope I sent the right kind of log, it's loglevel 1):

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=LzhRFWU8

Thank you for your help especially when you have so much to do with the Dharma release.
In the log, it looks like you started District 9 and then stopped it, then restarted it again about 10 seconds or so later.

It is in this second playback that things didn't go so well I think? There seems to be some issues with the audio in the log - you have just 2 channel analog out I guess? Do you have the facility to output digital?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering playback on Mac Mini, Plex plays smooth0