Visualisation based on png
I'd like to create a visualisation that uses many pngs with transparency. I would be up for creating the pngs and coding the thing. But I was wondering if it would be too demanding for xbmc to display around 5-10 pngs at a time
nah. that's 5-10 large single-textured quads. a gpu handles millions of trigons...
I dont know for sure but i dont think it should be an issue. the "vortex" visuals use pngs and bmps in its display. theres one with a scull and crossbones repeated many times on screen and it runs fine.

hope this helps.

P.S. not sure if the "vortex" visuals are available on all platforms but its definitely there on the xbox and if the xbox can handle them, i have no doubt other platforms can handle them as well.

RBX
Well basically all I want to do is to display randoms pngs across the screen and make them move in a direction.
this will work just fine. bind the png's to a texture and it will reside on the gpu memory. even the xbmc gui displays 20-30 images at any time..
Just a few things to keep in mind.

Keep the images in a "sane" size. For example 10 15MPixel textures will cause a problem on some graphics cards.

The other thing is how large you want to display them. Converting the screen completely with 10 alpha blended textures on a 1920x1080 screen will bog down most graphics cards.

But try anyway even if that was your plan. You will learn in the process and you can be quite sure you will find an effect that do work even if it wasn't exactly what you intended with from the start.
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
nice to see you active again mate. any chance you'd port your ss to windows?
spiff Wrote:nice to see you active again mate. any chance you'd port your ss to windows?

I wont port any of the old xbox xbmc screensavers to xbmc windows. They are opensource so anyone else can do that if they feel like it.

I am however going to take a much closer look into porting Plane9 to DirectX then as a xbmc windows screensaver and music visualizer. First I need to get v1.6 out the door though. I have a few questions relating to xbmc visualizers first but I'll start a new thread for that instead of hijacking this one.
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
Star 
Fraincs Wrote:I'd like to create a visualisation that uses many pngs with transparency. I would be up for creating the pngs and coding the thing. But I was wondering if it would be too demanding for xbmc to display around 5-10 pngs at a time
Love to see it, SuperSlide is a favourite.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Visualisation based on png0