VNC to XBMC
Hi

I have XBMC live installed on a Asrock 330HT. Its placed in my hometheatre in the basement, and when i want to do some work with the gui or try some new addons it would be great if i could reach the gui from my PC. Is it even possible to have a VNC session pointing to the XBMC machine? Has anyone tried and in that case how did you do it.
Yes, it is possible.
If you by GUI mean XBMC it could be performance problem. Some people do it, I dont see the point. Just install the default ubuntu vnc server and enable it. (see ubuntu forum or google). This will give vnc access to the console.

If you by GUI mean a desktop / window manager it is more meaningful. Then you want multiple background vnc sessions that initiates ad-hoc. I found that to be too much work to set up with vnc. I is also regarded as low security.

I recommend nxserver instead. The free version is excellent. Easy to setup.
I read somewhere on here that the 'X11VNC' server works best for this. Do a search you should find it. It's in the ubuntu repos.
I don't know if this applies to Linux, but on Windows VNC to a machine running XBMC is very slow because the XBMC screens update so fast. It's just barely usable, but only barely.

I have tried using an X server to connect to my Ubuntu machine (Xming), however I get an "OpenGL not available" error. Presumably the X server has to offer an OpenGL interface.

JR
Quote:I don't know if this applies to Linux, but on Windows VNC to a machine running XBMC is very slow because the XBMC screens update so fast. It's just barely usable, but only barely.
Thats what I meant, and it is the same on linux.
Thanks for your replies guys!
I give it a try and report my progress!
Quote:I have tried using an X server to connect to my Ubuntu machine (Xming), however I get an "OpenGL not available" error. Presumably the X server has to offer an OpenGL interface.

I have also tried ming but I had some issues, don't remember exactly. If you connect from another ubuntu (GDM) it works very good to start xbmc gui in remote session! I have not tried it since 8.10 but in the gdm login you could select a remote machine instead of the local desktop. I think xdmcp has to be enabled somewhere? I didnt try this on live it was a full ubuntu desktop in both ends.
hi

I have used x11vnc with xbmc works, if you give the right options (may also have to give a --auth), it is possible to patch the /usr/bin/runXBMC to launch x11vnc also everytime xbmc launches...

the only issue is you cannot see any video's over x11vnc, however you can do other tasks... esp related to installing plugins, etc
xbmc 1:9.11_lucid2 on boxdg45fc
ghatothkach Wrote:the only issue is you cannot see any video's over x11vnc, however you can do other tasks... esp related to installing plugins, etc

Yeah, I'm just looking for the best VNC so I can verify what's currently on the screen.
ie- I did a full library reset last night and I want to verify that it went fine (from my work computer) since I forgot to check the status this morning.
You can also do X11 forwarding and run it locally.

On gigabit ethernet I was able to run SD video. Audio still comes out where it normally does.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X11vnc
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VNC to XBMC0