[LINUX] Acer Revo Support needed!
I've searched high and low for a resolution to this problem. I am told, hence the reason for getting one, that Revo runs XBMC really well.

Now I know XBMC is to be the leading HTPC application and rightly so, but to get it working correctly on my top of the range R3610 is an absolute nightmare!

My regular PC (high end) has no problem at all.

Running Windows on my Revo is perfect, but running XBMC on is so unresponsive. Even with 4GB RAM.

So, Ubuntu you say. Fine I say. Being a 'Windows baby' I cannot really bend my head around Ubuntu and have asked loads and searched everywhere trying to set this up. Terminal / Sudo / Apt-get / Git commands - Spent the last 3 weeks trying to learn simply how to install Ubuntu, Samba shares, Google Chrome and XBMC together on a Revo.

Now I have no problem learning a new OS. But IMO Ubuntu is a nightmare. The first time I installed it, no Ethernet, the second time I installed it NO SOUND. I tried to sort it out, but to no avail following loads of different tutorials on 'Making it work!'.

I dont want to blame XBMC, as I know it's more Ubuntu's fault, but it seems that XBMC is geared towards an OS that is IMO - WHACK!

If ANYONE can help me install Ubuntu, XBMC, with shared drives attached with Google Chrome installed. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do so. As I have had enough and seriously thinking about turning back to Windows.

I dont want to, I just want this thing to work as it's meant to.

AND - as a side note about tonight. My XBMC, all setup great (minus sound!), went to 'Add Movies's to Library' on the latest SVN version of XBMC (Fresh install). It installed and scraped my TV Shows fine, Using TheMovieDB Scraper, it didnt add ANY Movies to my Library, although the 'search' found them all.

Where am I going wrong? Can we get a step by step, definitive guide to setting up Ubuntu, XBCM, NVidia Drivers etc to a Revo PLEASE!. Revo's are becoming sooo popular, I'm surprised there isnt one yet!

The answer may already exist on here already. But I maybe cannot see the wood through the tree's. If it's here, for the love of god... Please tell me where it is! The forum is huge and difficult to search through for the correct answer.

I'm going to try to take one more stab at this. If it fails and I have spent the morning (12am til 4am!) doing it again. I'm going to lose all faith!
Hi there

I run XBMC live version on 2 Revos (2610) and it runs perfectly, much faster then Windows MC, what problems did you have with the live version?
Quote:Where am I going wrong? Can we get a step by step, definitive guide to setting up Ubuntu, XBCM, NVidia Drivers etc to a Revo PLEASE!. Revo's are becoming sooo popular, I'm surprised there isnt one yet!

There are many many guides for the Revo and I also think the standard live CD is working at least pretty good out of box.

Quote:Now I have no problem learning a new OS. But IMO Ubuntu is a nightmare. The first time I installed it, no Ethernet, the second time I installed it NO SOUND. I tried to sort it out, but to no avail following loads of different tutorials on 'Making it work!'.
Well, it is not another version of windows. It takes some time and effort to learn. To get both sound and network to work on standard HW on Ubuntu desktop is pretty much as easy as can be. Customizing xbmcLive and get it to play br rips with 7.1 etc..not so easy. In my opinion it is the display handling and graphical card config that is still lagging after win with regards to easy of use. xbmcLive is another story and should not be compared with windows when it comes to OS user friendliness.
DejaVu77 i feel your pain my friend. I've dabbled off and on with Linux for years but never as a full OS and it can be very demanding on time.

Like you i too have been banging my head against a brick wall for the last few weeks with my new shinny revo R3610. Just as i think i'm making headway something comes along to drop me back in my place.

I originally went with the LiveCD install and that worked ok, not brilliant but ok. Then i went with XBMCFreaks last 10.08 cd and that was working much much better. I got a fairly good SVN, followed loads of guides and finally got SabNZBd updated, installed Sickbeard and CouchPotato and had my downloads automated. Followed a guide to get perfect synced playback and that seemed to work (somewhat) but i'm still plagued with lockouts from time to time, not being able to upgrade to the latest SVN, oh and lipsync issues (not much but enough for me to notice).

So today i've set myself the task to start from scratch and install everything manually. God knows how the journey will go Smile
I used the xci script on a ubuntu minimum install with my revo. This script makes things very easy. I think that it may be better with karmic ubuntu but check out the forum and see.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/
That script looks good but i really want to go with Lucid and the latest SVN builds so i can watch BBC Iplayer which is working perfect at the moment.
Hijinxx Wrote:Hi there

I run XBMC live version on 2 Revos (2610) and it runs perfectly, much faster then Windows MC, what problems did you have with the live version?

With the Live version, I could'nt work out how to share my attached 4x 1TB HDD's from the Revo to my network. It is all command line based (I guess, as I couldnt find out how to get to Ubuntu once Live was installed). I wanted the Revo to 'Serve' my drives out to the rest of my Windows network.

vikjon0 Wrote:There are many many guides for the Revo and I also think the standard live CD is working at least pretty good out of box.

Well, it is not another version of windows. It takes some time and effort to learn. To get both sound and network to work on standard HW on Ubuntu desktop is pretty much as easy as can be. Customizing xbmcLive and get it to play br rips with 7.1 etc..not so easy. In my opinion it is the display handling and graphical card config that is still lagging after win with regards to easy of use. xbmcLive is another story and should not be compared with windows when it comes to OS user friendliness.

Agreed, many many guides. Some of which describe my problems, but dont resolve the issue. ALSA upgrade springs to mind. Worked at first, rebooted the Revo - Sound was lost. As mentioned, Ubuntu OS I understand is completely different to Windows in user friendliness, I understand I wont learn it over night, I am more than willing to put the time in. But it's dishearting when you read, read and read again and you think your getting somewhere and it breaks. Sad

danz0l Wrote:DejaVu77 i feel your pain my friend. I've dabbled off and on with Linux for years but never as a full OS and it can be very demanding on time.

Like you i too have been banging my head against a brick wall for the last few weeks with my new shinny revo R3610. Just as i think i'm making headway something comes along to drop me back in my place.

I originally went with the LiveCD install and that worked ok, not brilliant but ok. Then i went with XBMCFreaks last 10.08 cd and that was working much much better. I got a fairly good SVN, followed loads of guides and finally got SabNZBd updated, installed Sickbeard and CouchPotato and had my downloads automated. Followed a guide to get perfect synced playback and that seemed to work (somewhat) but i'm still plagued with lockouts from time to time, not being able to upgrade to the latest SVN, oh and lipsync issues (not much but enough for me to notice).

So today i've set myself the task to start from scratch and install everything manually. God knows how the journey will go Smile

Good luck danz0l - We are both in the same boat! If I manage to get it sorted I'll share what I find. I too am about to re-embark on this journey! Smile

jgs2n Wrote:I used the xci script on a ubuntu minimum install with my revo. This script makes things very easy. I think that it may be better with karmic ubuntu but check out the forum and see.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/
Aha, the good old xci script. The first attempt I used to my Revo. Again though - no shares. I realise it's to do with Samba (which is not installed with the script) I think for a standalone XBMC install the script is the way to go, but my HTPC is networked to 6 laptops and 3 PC's running Windows 7.

Conclusion
I think the LiveCD version and then will to try to solve samba sharing and getting Google Chrome (Using Executor) installed for Sickbeard, CouchPotato and SabNZBd+ is the one for me. I'm going to try it today. Lets see if I have much hair lose by the end of the day!!
Thanks for your input guys. I'll keep you posted. Smile
DejaVu77 Wrote:With the Live version, I could'nt work out how to share my attached 4x 1TB HDD's from the Revo to my network. It is all command line based (I guess, as I couldnt find out how to get to Ubuntu once Live was installed). I wanted the Revo to 'Serve' my drives out to the rest of my Windows network.

Heres something i can help you with, albeit a little.

On XBMCFreakcd they share out a whole bunch of directories via samba. I wanted to do exactly what you want, i.e. share out my 3 connected usb drives to the network.

From memory i think i just edited

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Code:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server (Samba, XBMC)
netbios name = XBMCLive
dns proxy = no
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
guest account = xbmc
load printers = no
show add printer wizard = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes
map to guest = bad user

[Videos]
path = /home/xbmc/Videos
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Music]
path = /home/xbmc/Music
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[TV Shows]
path = /home/xbmc/TV Shows
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Downloads]
path = /home/xbmc/downloads
comment = Downloads Folder
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Pictures]
path = /home/xbmc/Pictures
comment = Pictures
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Media]
path = /media
comment = Media
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[System]
path = /home/xbmc/.xbmc
comment = XBMC System Share
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

The bit i added was

Code:
[Media]
path = /media
comment = Media
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

Which gave me a shared directory called Media with my mounted USB harddrives nested underneath.

The other issue i had was silly id's assigned to the drives so I needed to make them human readable.

I followed this guide

http://boshdirect.com/blogs/tech/xbmc-li...d-ids.html

And renamed my drives to

x:
y:
z:

using

Quote:sudo e2label /dev/mydrive newlabel

i.e.

Quote:sudo e2label /dev/sdb1 x:
sudo e2label /dev/sdc1 y:
sudo e2label /dev/sdd1 z:

You can find out what your drives are assigned to by doing a

Quote:df -T

This works well, although doesn't work perfect as

1. the entire samba share isn't password protected
2. Windows does not understand disk size of the shares so shows them all the same size and space left which is annoying.

But it does allow me to access, write to and managed those drives from windows (as well as play their content on my popcorn hour c200).
Top Banana Danz!!

I have XBMCLive installed working great so far and sharing drives! Whoop.

I'll document everything I've done shortly. All I want to do now is install google-chrome-stable via the command line and implement it into XBMC using Executor.

I've found some information on doing it here
http://www.patrickmicka.com/ubuntu/howto...ntu-linux/

After adding the Google Repository and running

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

I get -
Quote:google-chrome-stable is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
google-chrome-stable: Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgconf2-4 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnspr4-0d (>= 4.7.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnss3-1d (>= 3.12.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.18.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxslt1.1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxss1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xdg-utils (>= 1.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Whats missing? Any ideas?

-EDIT-
I prefer not to use Chromium as it's unstable and flash apparently is a mission to setup.

WooHoo! Getting there. Installing Stable Chrome....

Code:
wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install google-chrome-stable
Quick update.

I tried the XBMCLive CD, but it doesnt have the new Dharma Add-ons available, guessing it's still Trunk?, so Executor was not available.

Tried upgrading it, but again, couldnt bend my head around it. Is there an explanation somewhere about PPA's and SVN's etc?

So - hopefully, I'm now installing a fresh copy of XBMCFreak (Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn32696) which should be Dharma and I'll try again.
Executor is def available as an addon on XBMCFreak Smile good luck

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Revo Support needed!0