Lucid - digital audio - Passthrough - Boxee
Hey guys, just thought to share my experience on my recent HTPC install with LinuxMint 9 - Lucid based, 64 bit version.

I did exactly as described here... although I didn't need to install alsa-tools it seemed to already be installed (maybe a dependancy of some of my software?)...

Set PA to audio stereo duplex (left it alone as default) and unmuted and turned volume on on everything in alsamixer.

This got me both stereo and passthrough in VLC (set to use spdif and alsa output). Desktop sounds work.

Next installed XBMC - audio default, passthrough iec958 - works.
Latest Boxee install - audio default, passthrough custom: iec958
- everything started working when I turned off menu sounds (which is strange because they work normal in XBMC).

Now the problems... sometimes when switching rapidly between passthrough and stereo encoded videos, stereo seems to get muted.
The workaround is to drop to another terminal (i.e. ctrl+alt+f7) and than back (ctrl+alt+f8) and for some reason- voila the sound is restored instantly (the coursor gets stuck on screen and it also disappears with a alt+tab twice).

the dropouts seem to be related to rapid switching (i.e. sub 10 sec), but I'm not sure yet.

found a possible workaround on XBMC wiki, but it doesn't really work for me - I get stable stereo, but no passthrough at all... comments anyone?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ital_audio

can anyone help me get audio to work stable?
I too tried all workarounds from the Ubuntu forum topic you mentioned and I tried the workaround from the wiki.xbox.org site you mentioned. I had no luck either.

Before I had a hard disk crash I had digital audio out s/pdif (iec958) working in XBMC. That's because I removed everything Pulseaudio (PA) that I could find in synaptic (and installing a lotta alsa stuff). This disabled the Alsa audio driver for my TV card however. It is a complete mystery what the pro is of using Pulseaudio instead of only Alsa. PA is a complete and utter piece of ****.

Anyway, I'm giving up: gonna try giving PA the boot again.
Got it! Indeed removing bloody pulse is what solves it! See this Ubuntu forums topic (the first post from November 10th, 2009) for how tio do it safely:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313253

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lucid - digital audio - Passthrough - Boxee0