AppleTV update Warning.
Just a note to those running AppleTVs under atv(osx). Rumors are high right now and if Apple does pop an software update to the AppleTV, it's most certain to break Launcher and possibly XBMC running under the AppleTV.

You can block updates, add the line "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com'' to ''/etc/hosts'' and check that the updates directory is empty.
thanks!

will update the hosts right-away!
UPDATE: it's kinda odd, but mine already contains the line "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" ... hmm..
grey Wrote:UPDATE: it's kinda odd, but mine already contains the line "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" ... hmm..

Shouldn't it though if you had already selected BLOCK updates?

After I applied the patch to enable use of an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (which of course also included XBMC & Boxee), I selected that option by...

1) going to the SOFTWARE MENU item and select SETTINGS
2) scrolling down under the heading UPGRADER you will see the item UPDATE BLOCKER.
3) Select this item to change from NOT BLOCKING to BLOCKING.

I thought that doing this was all that was required in order to block future upgrades from Apple which could cause problems with 3rd Party Software.

Davilla, is the above simple procedure NOT sufficient enoughHuh
CanadaPhil Wrote:Shouldn't it though if you had already selected BLOCK updates?

After I applied the patch to enable use of an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (which of course also included XBMC & Boxee), I selected that option by...

1) going to the SOFTWARE MENU item and select SETTINGS
2) scrolling down under the heading UPGRADER you will see the item UPDATE BLOCKER.
3) Select this item to change from NOT BLOCKING to BLOCKING.

I thought that doing this was all that was required in order to block future upgrades from Apple which could cause problems with 3rd Party Software.

Davilla, is the above simple procedure NOT sufficient enoughHuh

"check that the updates directory is empty"
Steve telling about a new appleTV right NOW! @ http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/10...jrfn/event

new appleTV:

Ahhhhhh..... Looks like changes to AppleTV are imminent.

Geez, I hope this doesnt cause any issues. I have only had mine 2 weeks and I was really liking this thing.

edit...

Wow! and holy crap, the new AppleTV is going to retail for $ 99 !!!!

I am guessing that part of this new streaming only AppleTV is a pre-emptive strike to kill the BOXEE BOX before it finally starts shipping later this fall/xmas season?
I'm curious if the existing ATV got a software update to support the new features. The UI is the same and spec wise the old hardware should support netflix no problem. Anyone?

EDIT: Engadget just posted that the old ATVs will NOT be getting a software upgrade for the new "cloud-based" streaming. I guess I will finally put my original (and quiet) drive back in the ATV and kill the old software once and for all Smile.
dan1son Wrote:I'm curious if the existing ATV got a software update to support the new features. The UI is the same and spec wise the old hardware should support netflix no problem. Anyone?

EDIT: Engadget just posted that the old ATVs will NOT be getting a software upgrade for the new "cloud-based" streaming. I guess I will finally put my original (and quiet) drive back in the ATV and kill the old software once and for all Smile.

URL for that info please Smile
davilla Wrote:URL for that info please Smile

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple...-apple-tv/

I think that is the article he is referring to. It does mention NO UPDATE for legacy AppleTV's.
bastards Smile
Smile
davilla Wrote:bastards Smile

That was my exact response when I saw it Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV update Warning.0