XBMC Live Install on Asus Nettop Questions
I'm new to both XBMC and Linux but would like to convert my Asus Eeebox 1006 into a standalone media center. It would mainly be used to play HD/SD files off of my external hard drive. What I'm wanting to know is after I install the live USB image to the nettop should everything just work out of the box?
I mean the Wifi, ATI card,HDMI sound, hardware acceleration, etc. Thanks for helping the noob Smile

Here is the specs on the box

Intel Atom N270 Processor 1.6 GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM, 1 x Slot, 2 GB Max
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
ATI Radeon 4530 (DX9) GPU with dedicated 256 MB of DDR2 VRAM; HDMI port
Yes. There is no reason why it shouldn't work.
Alright, sounds good. Hopefully the hardware acceleration works good because my sad processor needs that video card pumping for the HD video to work.
wifi might be an issue for you, but you should be able to install the driver and get it working

I have wifi on my zotac board, but have not tried to enable it or get it working with my install because I have it hardwired

-=jason=-
I know that XBMC Live is installed with a flavor of linux running behind it. As far as upgrading/installing drivers can I do it easily through XBMC? Or would it only be able to be done through the terminal or can I drop back into the linux distro in the background and upgrade like on Ubuntu?
There is also this page here with a couple of userful comments: http://asuseeeboxpc.com/asus-eee-box-hd-...-pc-black/

Edit: in the case that you are not very keen with linux yet, have you considered trying out xbmc for windows, before deleting that preinstalled Windows partition altogether?
avel Wrote:There is also this page here with a couple of userful comments: http://asuseeeboxpc.com/asus-eee-box-hd-...-pc-black/

Edit: in the case that you are not very keen with linux yet, have you considered trying out xbmc for windows, before deleting that preinstalled Windows partition altogether?

Yes, I have tried XBMC on the Windows 7 partition I have set up right now. I wanted to make it a dedicated Media Box to boot straight into XBMC and be light on resources so I figured a Linux based build would be the best. I do have some experience with Ubuntu and updating it. I was just wondering if the live install would be easily updated/drivers installed or if it would all need to be done via the terminal.

Example: When I install Uubntu it tells me that there is an ATI driver available, it downloads, installs,etc. If I'm on XBMC Live does it already include the drivers? If not how do i download/install them?
Unless I have out of date info XBMC Live does not support GPU video acceleration for ATI cards. Only Nvidia GPU's through VDPAU are supported.

To allow the ATI GPU to decode the video you need to use Windows 7 and the Dharma Beta release of XBMC which has DXVA2 support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live Install on Asus Nettop Questions0