Want to see Lovefilm streaming on XBMC?
this will be the death of xbmc not love film Sad

vendors have moved towards closed eco-systems with cloud accounts and streaming services as will service providers such as netflix, lovefilm and any future content providers move to those well established 'official' platforms (xbmc is opensource and scary to big business) so you will be ok on a samsung tv, ps3/4/5 , xbox etc.. but not linux or pc

right now on the xbox/ps3 the high quality option is poor and below dvd quality at 3 mbps but it is suprisingly watch able. Soon higher broadband rates will be catered for (my connection is a pitiful 3mbps but is to be upgraded to an expected 59mbps in a month!) it will render local storage for 90% of consumers who have fast broadband unessential as the quality threshold for mr and mrs average will be at compressed 720p / 1080i 7-10mbps.

eventually they might even offer a "super-hd" (just below blueray) 14-18mpbs option? like apples new lossy 1080 codec

without a need for physical media ( movie companies increasingly hate the associated costs and ease of piracy) and as uk broadband upgrades seems to be finally moving on at a fair pace you will see less and less outlets for physical media, without that media the only option is online streaming or tv.

if xbmc or other opensource custom apps cant play whatever nightly flavour or version of player that lovefilm or netflix is using then you wont actually have a movie collection and xbmc becomes what?

imagine one night having the perfect xbmc setup and the next night zero films as you wait a week for a patch Sad it might ultimately be 5-10 years away but its happening

XBMC won't die, but the movie industry simply doesn't get it that DRM is no solution against piracy - DRM and crap are only adding obstacles in the way of paying customers but not pirates (frequent updates of BluRay players only to be able to play the latest bought movie, while ripping/watching a pirated movie is just 1 click, somethings very wrong). If they would just drop the DRM crap and open up their media streaming services and offer good streaming abos, there would not be a need for piracy at all.
And as long as there are no high bandwidth connections available everywhere (struggling with a 2 mbps one), streaming is just no option for everybody. Also, why would I want to stream a 2-ch movie with poor/mid quality when I can lean the BD and have a way better player software at hand to watch it from my couch (the streaming player is just crap).
(2012-04-22, 18:46)phill1978 Wrote: vendors have moved towards closed eco-systems with cloud accounts and streaming services as will service providers such as netflix, lovefilm and any future content providers move to those well established 'official' platforms (xbmc is opensource and scary to big business) so you will be ok on a samsung tv, ps3/4/5 , xbox etc.. but not linux or pc

(2010-09-03, 19:19)n3uromanc3r Wrote: Currently there are a handful of apps and devices that have been granted access to the streaming API for LoveFilm (Boxee included), most of these are 'partners' have a commercial relationship with LoveFilm.

Boxee_Wiki Wrote:Boxee source code is otherwise in majority based on the XBMC Media Center project's source code which Boxee uses as its software framework, and the Boxee developers contribute changes to that part back upstream to the XBMC project.[8][47][48] So Boxee is partially open source and those parts are distributed under the GNU General Public License

You logic appears flawed phil
No, Phil is dead on. Boxee only has access via closed source modules, and only on its commercial hardware box.
Yes closed source modules, its back end is still open sourced, and it doesn't seem to have scared them away. But I concede that they simply built closed source on top of it, and that I wasn't aware that they had switched to commercial box's only, last time I checked their site they had a download page. I was simply pointing out that open and closed source is a complex licensing issue, I was being a smart arse Wink But a full answer would likely be a bit off topic.
(2012-07-19, 07:47)tomolac Wrote: Yes closed source modules, its back end is still open sourced, and it doesn't seem to have scared them away. But I concede that they simply built closed source on top of it, and that I wasn't aware that they had switched to commercial box's only, last time I checked their site they had a download page. I was simply pointing out that open and closed source is a complex licensing issue, I was being a smart arse ;) But a full answer would likely be a bit off topic.

Well, I would say that it's not definite that they scare off, but it does seem to happen more often than not. We can always hope for change, though :)
(2012-07-19, 07:47)tomolac Wrote: Yes closed source modules, its back end is still open sourced, and it doesn't seem to have scared them away. But I concede that they simply built closed source on top of it, and that I wasn't aware that they had switched to commercial box's only, last time I checked their site they had a download page. I was simply pointing out that open and closed source is a complex licensing issue, I was being a smart arse Wink But a full answer would likely be a bit off topic.

They did have a download page and they had a pc client (since discontinued), but even then the Netflix plugin only worked on the hardware box and not the pc version.
Dont suppose anyone has come up with a solution for this?

If not is there a way from within XBMC I could launch into Internet explorer with lovefilm as the homepage or similar?

Even better would be if I could search a database of all the films from within an XBMC library -has anyone done either of these or come up with a better way?
Hi there,

i found this intresting article on omgubuntu http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/how-t...-on-ubuntu
perhaps this can help Smile
Slightly long winded way of doing things, but how about installing plex, adding lovefilm as a channel. Then via plexbmc add that channel as a favourite to your xbmc home menu? You'll have to have the plex server running all the time but it should work in theory. Huh

Edit: just tested in Nox 4.0, works just fine.....enjoy
LoveFilm = Silverlight + DRM = won't work on Linux.

XBMC = more often than not runs on Linux.

So a native XBMC LoveFilm app shall always be a none starter Sad

NetFlix had the right idea when they migrated from $ilverlight to HTML5 at the end of June 2013: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159...amatically

Sorry if this has already been done (this is a monster thread!).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want to see Lovefilm streaming on XBMC?0