Can't play HD over HDMI on some TV sets, OK on others (Asus Eee Box/NVIDIA ION))
Hi there,

I've been testing XBMC in the Windows 7 coming with the Asus Eee Box that has a NVIDIA ION. Replaced the Asus drivers for NVIDIA by the ones from nvidia.com, tuned the OS as much as I could and installed XBMC Dharma in it.

It's working all flawlessly in my 42" Philips TV via HDMI, even 1080p works well.

Then I tried connecting the Eee Box to a Sony Bravia 40" and after fixing an initial overscan issue through the TV menu went and played some movies and any HD movie will play at kind of 1 fps.

I notice that when you play a movie some sort of resolution change is made seconds after it starts playing, the picture goes black and then comes back again and the TV shows via its OSD the HDMI channel you are on.

Furthermore, during the 2 secs before the picture goes black the movies play OK and after you see the OSD info, like when the HDMI signal goes and comes back, I get the superslow playing. Not only that, the box is taking a lot of CPU.

I've tried it in another TV set from Sharp and I have the same issue, but in my Philips works perfectly fine.

- I've tried changing the "use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" option and nothing changed.

- I've tried to play the movie in a windowed XBMC (not full screen) and got the same problem.

- I've changed many options in the TV related to the HDMI communication like auto detect or auto adjust, all on and off one by one, no joy.

- Any HD movie will play just fine in any TV set with Media Player Classic (MPC) as it uses DXVA (which is activated in the XBMC player too by default).

Any clues? Any idea why XBMC changes its resolution 2 seconds after a movie starts playing? Any idea how to prevent it from doing that? I reckon if we could get that sorted all would be working fine.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about reinstalling the box with Linux and try again but if only I could find why XBMC
In the Video->Playback settings, turn off "adjust display refresh rate", and there won't be resolution changes anymore.

But you wrote that playing in windowed had the problem too, so I doubt it's going to help.
Chances are you have an audio problem.

Please upload a debug log on pastebin and post the link.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Turning off the "adjust display refresh rate" made the videos not to stop after the initial two seconds. I haven't been able to try it on the Sony TV set where the problem is showing but noticed that on the Philips. I'll try it on the Sony and will report back with the logs and will play with the audio options if I see the issue is still there.

Thanks for the tips!
Posted in wrong topic. Please disregard this post.
I tried it with the adjust display refresh rate option turned off and now it works fine on the Sony TV set too.

Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play HD over HDMI on some TV sets, OK on others (Asus Eee Box/NVIDIA ION))0